Chapter 13

Stella's POV

"wait, so you're just going to leave New York?" Ryder whispered. I am in his room at the Orphanage and every second here I can feel myself slowly creeping into a depression, the faster I get out of here, the better. Especially since it's 12am and I am here in secret, my nerves are on edge.

"I need to get out of here Ryder, you don't understand." I whisper back defensively.

"No, I completely understand. You're doing what you always do. Running from your problems. You do this over and over again and I am tired of watching you act like this. I can't believe you're just going to leave." he gets up and runs his fingers through his hair, "you don't think I am going through a rough time with Beatrice being gone too? Christmas was hell here."

"I know and I am so sorry, but I have nothing here for me anymore. I finished all of my school and there is no way I will get into any type of college, so why not try and go to LA where maybe my photography and music will be appreciated." I say back.

"What about me, you have me here. You have the animal shelter, Ted, so many people care for you here." he says.

"Ryder, thats three people. Three out of a fully overpopulated city. I need to get out of here.. Everything reminds me of Bea, and you, well you are leaving for the college of your dreams in a few months, and I already talked to Ted and everyone at the shelter, they think its going to be good for me, and its not like I'm not going to keep in touch.."

he stares at me blankly and then sighs loudly, "just do what YOU think is best for yourself. Don't just be Josh's puppy dog."

"Puppy dog?!" I laugh sarcastically, "you know me better than that."

"Maybe not. You know Stell. You should go before we both get into trouble. Have fun in LA." he walks to the door and opens it for me, "you know the way out from here.."

I look at him with disappointment, "I leave tomorrow at noon, if you know, you actually want to give me a proper goodbye.. I would like that. See ya later, Ryder." I feel my heart sink as I walk down the stairs.

I take one last look at Ryder and take in the crisp winter air coming through the door, "i think I'm going to miss you the most." I say.. I turn around and walk down the front steps of the orphanage for the last time. "Goodbye Bea." I whisper as I look at the intersection where Beatrice was hit and I take in a short choppy breath.

I look to the sky and something hits me in my eye, "oh shit." I look down at the ground and try to figure out just what fell into my eye, but the sting goes away, I look back up and smile to see small snowflakes slowly, and gracefully making their way to the black pavement.

"Stella!" I hear a voice behind me and I turn around, "wait!" Ryder pulls me into a hug and I hug him back and start to cry.

"I am so sorry. I really am. I just I-" he shhh's me.

"No, stop. I get it now Stella. You are finally taking your life into your own hands, and I am so proud that you are finally getting out of your shell. Ever since you and Josh met, you have changed. You smile more, you're less, well hostile. And I shouldn't have said that you were his puppy dog, because I know you aren't. Just be careful out there, and I love you, sis." He wraps me in another hug. "I guess i'm just scared you'll forget about me."

"that isn't possible Ryder. I promise I'll keep in touch. If one thing goes wrong with Lucille, you call me. Do not hesitate. Please, and keep me updated with anything that goes on. Okay?"

"I promise. Now, no suprise wedding invitations from you, or no kids. I'm not ready to be an uncle yet." he jokes.

"You don't have to worry about that. Just friends, Ry, We are just friends." I say.