Chapter 3

Since Nicole no longer had school for three months,  all she did was lie in bed to avoid her family. She only left her room to eat and use the bathroom. She slept most of the day, everyday. She kept having strange dreams, about that thing. The giant turtle guy thing. She wanted to figure out what it meant, but she never liked telling anyone her dreams. Those were the one thing she could keep to herself.

Even when she went downstairs, she seemed to not exist. Her family didn't even acknowledge her existence.

"Do you need help?" She had asked her 'sister', Sarinna. Sarinna didn't even look at her. Whenever she asked or said anything to anyone, she was ignored.

Finally,  she'd had enough. She pushed Sarinna and glared at her 'mom'.

"Why do you treat me like this? What did I ever do to deserve all this?" She shouted at them.

"Oh, stop." Sandra (mom) sneered.

"You're just being dramatic." Sarinna laughed.

"Are you kidding me?" Nicole raised her voice louder. "You've been treating me like shit my whole life!"

"You're adopted! Your parents are dead! Nobody gives a shit about an orphan!!" Sandra yelled. Nicole clenched her fists.

"Fuck you!!!" She screamed. "Fuck you both!!!" Sandra slapped her across the face hard.

"Yell at me again, you little bitch! I dare you!" Sandra snarled.

"Go to hell!!!" Nicole screamed, earning a punch in the stomach.

"Go to your room." Sandra spat in her face.

"You're a fucking bitch, Sandra." Nicole growled in her face. Sandra punched her as hard as she could.

"Get the fuck upstairs before I end you." Sandra threatened,  grabbing a knife. Nicole huffed and ran to her room. She called April. She heard it ring 4 times.

"Hey Nic whats up?'" She asked.

"I'm running away." Nicole sobbed into the phone.

"What? Why?" April panicked.

"I don't feel safe here." Nicole sniffed. "Sandra hit me.. She slapped me, punched me in the stomach, and threatened to kill me."

"Isn't that normal for her?" April wondered.

"No.. she's never hit me this bad. She's only ever slapped me. She has never threatened to kill me actually pulling out a knife." Nicole sobbed.

"You're coming to live with me." April announced sternly.

"W-what? But you live in New York!"

"And? I'm buying your plane ticket. Pack your things. Your flight is next week, on Thursday. Be ready." April demanded.

"O-okay.. if you say so. I'll get packing." Nicole said nervously. After she hung up the phone, she smiled and silently cheered.

'I'm getting out of this hell hole!!'  She thought, carefully dancing happily.