Prologue

Crackle! It was enough to catch Evul's piercing eye."Get out thief!" Only more crackles came to reply."OUT!" Suddenly the room grew hot, unbearably hot, hotter than the sun in Eureth (it was the night). The heat provoked Evul's untouched terror. He'd bullied and killed his whole life - never scared. This new sensation - he didn't like it. "Get out." his voice whimpered slightly, in a concealed fragment of his soul hid an illogical, useless part of his soul. It screamed fear, fear he didn't crave nor like. Why couldn't he be in control?

The flames from his fire place expanded and reproduced, he understood who the appellant was. The flame. An absurd idea he knew - but it was his best one. Evul isn't practically superstitious - unlike some people in Torenner. Yet this was something no atheist could deny. It was real. It was coming.

The flickering tongue danced as it twisted to create a tunnel, a portal for the spirit. Evul was frozen, feeling cold though the flame gave off burning heat, a cold deriving from the same place as the fear. It was a sweating cold that continued to thrive although he could feel nothing except merciless heat. What was this? Magic? Demons? He knew nothing and was unable to act. Move! Move! He screamed at himself as fragments fought from his core, into the fiery vortex.

He stared into the channel, doing nothing. Until he screamed "Ahhhhh!"...

The fire had taken him, he and it were one - a shared conscience.