Chapter Sixteen

• Dedicated to Amber and Teah :)

During maths Matt and I sat next to each other, I learnt that he is very clever even though he won't admit it. Throughout the next few classes we discovered that we shared most of the same lessons. We also had a lot in common. At lunch we sat together, at my usual table.

"So if you had to pick your favorite super hero who would it be?" I asked him curiously, he had told me earlier that he loves reading the Marvel comic books.

"Hmm good question," he paused, "I'd have to say Spider Man." He said smiling, then laughed.

"Me too!" I agreed. I'm not a Marvel fan (as in I've never read any of the comics) but I do enjoy the movies, especially Spider Man.

"Really?" I could tell he didn't believe me.

"Yeah, I mean I'm not much of a 'Super Hero' fan but Spider Man is pretty cool," I explained.

He laughed at my quotation of Super Hero's.

 "What do you mean 'Super Hero'?" He asked me.

"Well, I guess I find the whole idea of a Super Hero misleading and sort of pointless," I said timidly, not wanting to offend him.

"What? How?" He looked completely perplexed by my statement.

"Most Super Heroes have a special power that helps them fight crime or save people, there are people all over the world who do both of those things without some sort of supernatural element. I just don't agree with the message they send, like you in order to be a hero and protect what you truly believe in you have to have powers. I just think that there are other, better, examples of actual heroes in the world." I finish my rant and take a deep breath. I slowly look up at him afraid he'll laugh in my face and leave.

When I see his face my anxiety is replaced with relief. A big cheesy grin is plastered on his face, he clearly enjoyed my monologue.

"What?" I asked him when I realized he was staring at me.

"You are a very fascinating girl Jane, I can already see that we're going to get on well." He says sincerely, "I do agree with some elements of your point though." He added.

"Although, I have to say that I absolutely cannot stand spiders," I shudder at the thought of them.

He laughed, "Of course! A girl that likes Spider Man is afraid of Spiders!" he continued to chuckle.

~

It was an unusually nice day so I decided to walk home. When I turned the corner (from school) I realised that a very smug looking Blake was following me.

I stopped and turned to him.

"What?" I said abruptly.

"Well hello to you to babe," he said arrogantly. Not even making eye contact with me.

"Do not call me that." I told him sternly.

"Just stay away from me Blake." I warned him.

"Why what are you afraid of?" he smirked and began to come closer to me, clearly trying to do something.

"Stay away from me." I said again, raising my voice slightly, which made people look.

"Jane what are you doing?" he continued to try and make a move on me.

"Stay away from me!" I yelled at the top of my lungs causing Blake to let go of me instantly and everyone to turn and stare at us.

I took one more look at Blakes' horrified face and left.

~

I ran all the way home; afraid Blake was going to follow me again. When I get to the house I realize that there is a man, waiting outside of it. He was smartly dressed in a suit, and he carried a folder.

"Can I help you?" I asked him curiously.

"Jane?" he asked me bluntly.

"Yes?"

"I'm the real-estate agent that your mother hired to price the house, did she not mention that I would be coming by today?" he enquired. 

"Not today specifically," I paused to collect myself, "Anyway, please come in."

I followed him through the door into the empty house.

"Would you like something to drink?" I asked awkwardly.

"I'm fine thank you, I better get to work." He said then started to look around the room, noting things down in his folder.

Instead of standing there awkwardly watching him I decided to go to the kitchen and get myself a snack.

~

An hour later the real-estate dude left, and said he would send my mother the details.

I was alone again.

As I sat myself down on the couch with my hot chocolate, about to enjoy a Harry Potter marathon my phone rang.

I had left my phone upstairs on charge, so naturally I missed the call. I then received a text message.

I smiled when I read who it was from.

*Hey Jane, wanna go out for pizza?

Matt*

*Sure, meet you at Pizza Hut in 10?*

*Cya there ;)*

It looks like my prayers have finally been answered, I have a friend!