Chapter 24

Lucy's p

Lucy's p.o.v

It's been three days. Three long days. I poured more coffee in the cup and went back to the computer room.

The very same night when the incident had happened I called Francy hoping to talk, but she hung up with the excuse that she had a family thing and that she can't talk.

It drove me insane for three days. Should I have called again? Did she see who I was? Could she have found out from somewhere?

Arrgh.

I pulled out my phone. I'm going to call her.

Not even a second later the door opened and Ace walked in with few of his friends.

I instantly stood up leaving my coffee behind. If he knew anything this would become very messy. If he tries to hit me, I'm going to dodge, but I don't want to hit someone with a broken nose.

"Lucy we need to talk." He said and gestured for me to follow him in the kitchen.

Ahh, I guess this is it.

"Look I want to apologize for taking matters into my own hands the other day..." He started.

"Woah woah. Why are you apologizing." I raised my hands. " Geez man, I should apologize. Look at your nose." I pointed at his bruised nose.

He seemed surprised at my reaction.

I smiled. Thank god. He didn't know anything. "I heard they ran away after you knocked out their guy."

Ace laughed."Oh well.. What did I miss here? Did they come back?" He asked.

I shook my head. "No, no. There wasn't anything happening really."

My head was a mess. My usual disinterest was gone. I spent the last three days thinking what this meant for me. Did I want to see Francy again?

Yes.

Did it matter to me who her brother was?

Well...He was one of my smarter people. He worked for me.

But now I had to be nice to him. Well it could work out in my favor. I hated befriending people since they all stabbed you in the back when they get the chance to. But in this case....

But he was scared of me so maybe this was a failed plan anyways.

"Listen Ace..." I opened the fridge. "Do you want something to drink?"

"Beer?"

I passed him a can and leaned on the counter. "Eventually this fucker is going to stop bothering me or come and make another problem. We'll need a plan so we don't get in another mess."

He nodded and opened the can taking a sip.

"I'm suggesting we work together on this. I can't work and watch over the other guys and keep my eyes on him. I'm asking if you're willing to help me out." I asked, opening my can.

He coughed out. "Shit, are you asking me for help?"

I took a sip of the beer. "Yeah."

Ace seemed like he was hesitating.

"Damn, I'm honored. Let's do this." He pulled out his hand and we shook on it.

Huh, he didn't seem that scared of me after all.

"So did you end up in the hospital or got grounded for that nose?" I asked.

He shook his head in denial. "No, I just said it happened during basketball."

"Basketball?" I laughed.

"Yeah." He took a chair and sat down. "Don't take this the wrong way but why did you avoid talking to my sister when she insisted on it? Some of the guys told me.."

I raised my hand to interrupt him. "That wasn't..." I was going to make an excuse but I stopped. "Why do you ask?"

"Just seemed weird." He closed the subject.

"I thought you had a brother." I said.

"Oh yeah, Kai. I have two younger brothers and a sister." He answered.

I nodded. "I see. But your brother Kai, isn't he...." asian. I wanted to even ask, "is he adopted"....it kind of felt personal to ask, but damn, I was curious and Francy didn't tell me anything about it.

Like he read my mind, he made a face and then sighed.

"Look um, don't tell this to the others here, though some assume, but I don't want people gossiping about this and certainly if you ever meet my siblings you don't tell them I told you this.."

"Tell me what?" I asked, taking a sip.

"That I told you we're all adopted."

I gulped down my bear as air got stuck in my lungs and I started coughing. All adopted. All four of them.

So Francy's parents were.. I shook my head. Wait I can't be having these thoughts.

"We don't like discussing this with others, if you understand." Ace said and I nodded.

"Yeah yeah. No worries. Sorry I kind of made you tell me."

He cleared his throat. "So anyways I might be gone for a while, depending on the verdict today. But keep me posted about this thing. I'll do whatever I can to.."

"Wait hold up.. verdict?" I raised my brow.

Ace shook his head. "If they rule me guilty it's over. I'm better off dead. My family is crazy, man."

"Really?" I asked, smiling. Francy crazy? "Even your sister?"

He snorted. "I have bald spots on my head from her."

I laughed. 

Ace seemed to be observing me like he wanted to say something.

"What?"

"You're cool man, I don't know why you keep up with the scary attitude. All the guys here respect you."

I finished my can and threw it in the sink.

"Because they like the freedom, money and power I have. Not me."

With that, I left the kitchen. Like he would know when people follow him around naturally.