Chapter Twenty Five

His front door opened, as it did it revealed none other than just the guy I needed.

He raised his eyebrows realising who I was, it was mid hours of the school day. The last place I was suppose to be was his house right now. Rather a classroom or a meeting. "Mallory- you're suppose to be in school what are you-"

"-I was,"

He hesitated saying the first thing that came to his mind. Pausing. "...So- why aren't you?"

"Billie we need to talk,"

"I know- I mean- I've been trying to talk with you but you've been angry at me-"

"-I'm still angry,"

"So why are you here?"

"Because... I had a bad day,"

He broke a face of pity. Normally it was a facial expression I hated. But right now it felt nice to feel small and pitiful.

For what felt like the first time in forever, I wanted to cry. I couldn't remember the last time I had, building up all these emotions on a whole rollercoaster of events. I was suppose to be happy. I had the score I wanted. But my victory didn't taste sweet anymore after Mr Watson had soured it.

He moved walking inside, silently inviting me in as I followed him shutting the door behind. Instead of walking through his living room normally, he stopped in the middle of it. Sitting down on the couch as he looked at me whilst I stood up anxiously. "What happened?"

I sighed sitting down on the same couch, not as close to him as I maybe normally would. "I told Mr Watson,"

His eyebrows budged down a little. "You did?"

"Yeah,"

"So... why is that-"

"-He didn't- He erm-" I cut myself of swallowing. My voice felt too close to breaking than I would've liked. "-He didn't believe me," I finished, looking down at my hands.

"Did you show him the tests?"

"No,"

"What?"

"Y'know- whats even the point," I looked up at him. "He thought I was joking at first. He told me a ninety three wasn't in my abilities to achieve. That there was no chance it could have been mine. What is the fucking point? I did better than average students, but yet I'm still getting the idiot lecture?"

He gave me another piteous look. "Mallory... the point is you know you did well and-"

"-But what glory have I got to bask in if no one knows it? He doesn't believe me, you didn't believe in me- suppose I really am just a lost fucking cause,"

"You're not a lost cause-"

"-Then what am I Billie?" I asked defensively, standing up to my feet. Ready to leave.

He followed my actions standing up quickly too. "Mallory we'll just show them the evidence,"

"Maybe it doesn't even matter,"

"It's solid evidence they-"

"-You should have seen me Billie. I just sat there. I didn't even argue back. I didn't even try to show him the evidence. I've given up. I'm at my end- I'm completely jaded,"

"You can't give up now what about how far you've come?"

My shoulders felt heavy as I shrugged them. "Who cares?" I asked, my voice cracking.

"I do Mal,"

"Then stop,"

"You can't do this again,"