𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

• • • • • • •

• • • • • • •

"for the last time, mijo. ghosts are not real!" julie's aunt walked in on her little brother, searching the room with his ghost hunter app. charlotte still wasn't sure what an ipad was or what it was for, but by this point, she knew that it definitely wasn't a professional grade ghost hunting tool.

"typical adult." reggie stood up from the arm of the couch he was perched on. "remember when we were kids and they never believed what we said?"

alex sighed. "pretty sure that's just a you thing, reg. i was always pretty trustworthy."

"yeah, well, you didn't have strict parents, then." charlotte rolled her eyes, thinking back to all the times she wasn't allowed to go out, and all the times her parents didn't believe a word she said.
"i was, like, the perfect child, and they still didn't trust me."

"really, char?" luke raised his eyebrow and scoffed. "you were the perfect child?"

"i'd like to think so."

"i have a hard time believing that." he sank back into the sofa.

"okay, maybe not perfect." she sighed. "i had a bad habit of skipping class, and i did sneak out to the occasional party."

"ooh." reggie wiggled his eyebrows. "we got a rebel on our hands."

"whatever." she rolled her eyes, then nodded to carlos and his aunt. "don't you have something to prove?"

he marched over to the lamp, a determined look on his face.
"adults not believing children ends tonight."
he winked at her. "showtime."
reggie flicked the light off.

carlos gasped. "ghosts aren't real, huh? how do you explain that?"

reggie nudged charlotte and smirked.

"lightbulbs burn out all the time, carlos." she said, definitely not so sure of herself.

reggie grimaced. "ooh, wrong answer, tía!"
he jumped over charlotte, who sat on the arm of the chair, to the window. "explain this!"
he started to open and close the blinds as fast as he could.
alex threw his head back and sighed. luke sank farther into the couch.

"maybe it's my mom!" carlos said. "she knows i haven't been replacing the toilet paper!"

"char, get the other window!" reggie tilted his head, and she jumped over the back of the couch to the other set of blinds to mimic reggie's movements.