Chapter 22

I awoke to the sounds of a laugh track downstairs. Groaning, I sat up and glanced over at the clock. The bright red lights made out 8:57. I rubbed my eyes, throwing on sweatpants and tank top. I made my way slowly out of my room, walking into Mason’s.

                He was sprawled out on his bed, his covers everywhere. A slight snore came from him, his fingers moving as if to grasp something. I bit my lip at the realization that he had been going to sleep without anyone having to lay next to him.

                He was growing up.

                I closed the door quietly before walking down the stairs. It was dark save for the blue light radiating from the television. I could see Caden sitting on the couch, his face impassive. I leaned against the doorway, watching him with crossed arms.

                I was sure he had noticed me after a few minutes but continued to ignore me. I rolled my eyes, walking over to him.

                Caden sat in the middle of the couch so that if I sat on either side I would be close to him. I hesitated to see if he was really mad at me before sitting down gently beside him.

                My leg brushed his as I leaned back against the couch.

                Caden continued to ignore me, his attention focused on the TV.

                “Hey” I said at the commercial break.

                He nodded, saying he heard me.

                I sighed, tilting my head back. Well this was fun.

                I stood up, walking towards the kitchen. Caden didn’t move to acknowledge me at all. With an internal groan, I grabbed a glass out of the sink. It clattered as I put it on the counter, the noise echoing in the kitchen.

                I chugged the cold water, frustrated. I didn’t understand why he was so upset with me. I hadn’t done anything. I was trying to be faithful to Jason.

                Making my way back, I noticed that Caden hadn’t moved at all. He sat motionless on the couch in the same spot as before.

                I sat down next to him, turning so that my body faced him. I stared at him intently, determined to get some response.

                Caden’s eyes flickered towards me a few times before he spoke, “Stop staring at me like a fucking creeper”

                I smiled slightly “Language, Caden”

                He rolled his eyes at me.

                “Why are you mad at me?” I asked boldly.

                “I’m not mad”

                I rolled my eyes. I grabbed his hand off his leg, setting it on my lap. I traced his fingers with mine, noticing how much thicker they were. His hand twitched has my fingers skimmed over his palm. So he was ticklish there.

                I traced the lines on his hand intently. “My mom took me to a palm reader once. I thought it was total bogus, but it turned out to be pretty cool”

                He didn’t give me a response, but let me continue to trace his hand.

                I ran my index finger across the line that circled his thumb, the life line. “All I remember is her talking about the life line.”