Chapter Four

Things started going downhill after school during auditions. Ben and I were sitting in a chair, waiting for our turn to sing in a small room to the director.

       A girl of about average height with curly dark brown hair swaggered over. She was a girl infamous at my school- Tammi Anidem. That girl Kathy Normad had basically become her disciple and had gone from an annoying, stupid little girl obsessed with puppies to an annoying, stupid bitch obsessed with trying to bring people down 24/7.

        I cursed under my breath and pulled out two books, passed one to Ben, and swung mine open. We started acting natural (which in this case was reading) and ignored Tammi as she leaned  on my shoulder.

        "Hey, Brit. Watcha doin' here, just hanging out with ya boyfriend?" She smirked.

        "My name is Sonja," I said as I turned a page in my book. I had learned a long time ago to just ignore her and she usually went away. Emphasis on usually.

        "Come on Brit." She pulled some of my hair out from under my hat. I swatted at her hand.

        "Go away, please."

        "Fine." She grabbed my hat and ran off.

        Now that pissed me off. I pushed myself out of my seat and made myself as tall as possible (I was a good four or five inches taller than her anyways).

        "Give it back," I said calmly through gritted teeth.

        She leaned closer.

        "Make me."

        That was the last straw. I lunged at her and she tossed it to Kathy. Kathy, being the blumbering idiot that she was, held it for a moment in her meaty hands. I ran towards her and she tossed it up into the air. Damn. It was going to get caught on a hook on the ceiling. I watched it fly up and I stared at it, willing it to fall short. And it did.

        I caught it in my hands and pulled it onto my head, tucking my hair back into it. I bowed. "Thank you, Miss Normad."

        I turned around and headed back to my seat.

        "Nice job, Sonja," Ben said. I smiled half-heartedly.

        The director came out and read a list of names. "Tammi Anidem. Kathy Normad. Ben Glauben. Sonja Fortræd." He said a few other unimportant names as well.

        We lined up next to the wall. Tammi turned to me.

        "May the best woman win," she said.

        "Guess that means you won't be getting the part."

        Tammi sneered as she walked into the room.

        Ben turned to me and shot me a lopsided smile.

        "Sorry you had to put up with Tammi."

     "It's not your fault she's a bitch." I leaned against the wall, the cold seeping in through my cardigan. "Or is it?"

        He laughed. " I'll let you know as soon as I find out."

        Tammi came out and Kathy went in.

        "Looks like it'll be your turn soon," I told him. He grinned.

        "Yeah, I guess. Wish me luck!"

        I smiled and shrugged my shoulders. "Luck has been wished."