[ t h i r t y ]

t h i r t y
d a u g h t e r

t h i r t y d a u g h t e r

IT WAS FOLLOWING THEM.

Malia and Amelia kept running as fast as they could, entering the school quickly and sprinting inside a classroom.

Amelia proceeded to place a chair in front of the door before Malia pushed a desk in front of it, the two girls panting.

"Not a way you'd want to spend your birthday?" Malia asked as Amelia emptied her bag on the table.
"What are you doing?"

The girl showed Malia her dagger and the werecoyote raised her eyebrows.

"I thought we weren't supposed to kill it. There's a teenager still underneath."

Amelia breathed heavily. "Who knows for how long? Who knows... how many people that thing can kill?"

"Kill..." whispered Malia before pushed away the desk. "My mother is still here."

"Do you have any backup for that?" Malia raised her eyebrows. "Forget I ask. You call Braeden, I call Dahlia."

• • •

Amelia and Malia walked through the hallways, hearing how people were running, screaming, yelling.

The protector's hand was almost bleeding due to how tensed she had the string under her fingers.

"It's better if we split up," whispered Amelia and Malia looked at her. "Go deal with your mother, I'll deal with the Beast."

Malia frowned. "That's stupid."

"Do you have a better plan?" Malia shook her head. "Go deal with your psychotic mother."

Malia started running away from her and Amelia held on to the string, looking around as she walked slowly. through the hallways.

Own the chessboard, Amelia.

A tear left the girl's eye when she heard the snarling, the low growling. She felt the string rubbing against her skin, scratching it, hurting her, yet, she did not let go.

She walked so slowly that her footsteps were not able to be heard. She walked so gently that her weight became a light as the one of the feather.

Amelia felt someone walking right next to her, copying her moves. The girl looked to her side, seeing it was the same guy she had seen in the vision the doctors had created.

Her father.

She was imagining her father.

"The Beast of Gevaudan. You've read about it," talked the guy as he was tending his string too, looking towards the same places she was looking. "What did you read?"

"A woman killed it in the 1700s," she whispered. "A hunter. The lady of Gevaudan."

Amelia aimed towards an empty classroom, but now one was there, so she continued walking.