...But It's Okay

(A/N: Extract taken about werewolves from Harry Potter Wiki Fandom)

James, Sirius and Peter were huddled together by the lake under a beech tree. Each one's expressions held solemnity and concern.

"Well?" James spoke up.

"It all adds up."

James nodded. "I got this book from the library," said James pulling out a large, leather bound book from his bag. He turned several pages until, "Here it is."

Clearing his throat he began,"A werewolf, also known as a lycanthrope is a human being who, upon the complete rising of a full moon, becomes an uncontrollable, fearsome and deadly wolf. This condition is caused by infection with werewolfry. Lycanthropy is a magical illness known to be spread by contact between saliva and blood; thus, when a werewolf bites a human, the bitten will become a werewolf themselves. There is currently no cure for lycanthropy.'"

Sirius and Peter listened intently and looked at James. Peter looked like he could've fainted as James finished reading.

"Oughtn't we talk to him about it?" suggested Sirius.
James nodded. A wide grin stretched on Sirius's face.

"W-why are smiling like that?" asked Peter.

"I just realized... How bloody cool is this? Our best friend is... a... WEREWOLF!" he said, whisper shouting the last word.

James mirrored his grin. Peter's aghast look however seemed to think otherwise.

"You m-mean th-that we're still g-going to talk t-to h-h-him? Shouldn't w-we tell Dumbledore instead?" asked Peter looking perplexed.

Sirius stared at him in disbelief. He shook his fist in Peter's face causing him to whimper.

"He. Is. Still. Our. Friend. If you have a have a problem with that I'll be more than glad to sort it out for you, Peter," Sirius spat at him. James nodded, "How could you even THINK of something like that."

Peter gulped and muttered an apology. "If I hear another word of this kind... I will not hesitate to throw you off the Astronomy Tower," said James threateningly. This seemed to do the trick for since Peter didn't mention anything remotely similar throughout the rest of the conversation.

______________________________

Remus had locked himself in the Astronomy Tower. He hadn't even brought a jacket and it was getting quite cold. He rubbed his hands together as his vision started to blur with tears. It was donw. They know. I should've known better. Someone like me... A monster like me couldn't possibly have expected to live a normal life. It was all over. They would tell everyone and I'd have to be expelled. The parents wouldn't want me near their children.

His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. Remus froze on the spot hoping would go away. But they didn't. They continued to knock.

"Remus? Mate you there?" asked James.

Remus looked up.

"It's alright mate we just want to talk. Please open up," pleaded Sirius.

Remus hesitated.

"Please Remus. We promise not to say anything to anyone if that's what you want."

"Maybe he's not in there after all?" asked Peter.
"No he is. I know it. I saw him standing by the railing," said James.

The door creaked open to reveal a dishevelled looking Remus, his face tear-stained.

"Why?" he whispered, his voice raspy, "I'm obviously an outcast, a monster."

"Remus, mate, no... Not at all."

"We don't care if you're a werewolf; you're still our good Remus Lupin."

Remus stared, "Well you should care. I could kill you and not even feel a shred of regret whilst I'm transformed."

"No we don't care. You're our friend whether you like it or not and know that you being a werewolf doesn't change a thing," said James.

"Yeah. James is right. Merlin, you could turn into a bloody troll and we'd still drag you along," added Sirius.

Remus smiled and let out a little laugh.

"So... You guys really are fine with it?"

"Absolutely."

"A hundred percent."

Remus felt this was too good to be true. He couldn't push back the urge to smile any longer and James pulled him into a hug, followed by Sirius and Peter.

"You have no idea how scared I was," said Remus.

"Wow, you think we would've abandoned you or something? Oh Remus it hurts me to know you think so low of us," said Sirius clutching a hand on to his heart.

"You can't help it when you're labeled as a wild, untamed, dangerous creature meant to be locked up," he said jokingly.

James laughed, "Now let's get out of here before Filch comea and drags us to his office by our ears."

"You guys are either stupid as hell or the most wonderful people on earth," said Remus as they tip toed down the tower.

"No reason we can't be both," chuckled Sirius. Remus shook his head.

They soon scurried into their common room and were soon flooding Remus with all sorts of questions.

"So when did you become a werewolf? Where do you go every month to transform? Does Dumbledore know? Do you get taller in your werewolf form?" asked James in one breath making Remus grin.

"Okay slow down. First of all let's go to our dorm where we can talk in peace," he said indicating to a few students scattered around the room alongside them.
James nodded and they rushed up the stairs and jumped up on their beds eager to hear all about Remus.

"Aren't you in the least bit worried I might chomp your head off by mistake someday?" asked Remus afer he finished answering all the ridiculous questions these three presented.

"Nope. We are brave Gryffindors after all, plus we think it's cool," saud James.
"Is that so?"
"Yes, yes it is," replied Sirius.

Soon they were all drifting off to sleep. Remus lay in his bed in thought. They're not scared if me. They dont hate me... They think I'm cool. Remus smiled to himself, for the first time in his life not hating the werewolf part of himself.