23

The next week was spent preparing for the ball.

Ilaria and Circe were fitted for dresses, and Mario and Raffaele had new suits tailored just for the occasion.

Ilaria was more excited about getting dressed up with Circe than about going to the actual ball itself. Circe was dreading all of it.

The night of the ball arrived quicker than they thought it would, and they were excited to get it over and done with.

"Circe we need to get ready" Ilaria groaned as she tried to pull the girl out of the gym.

"We have two hours Lar" Circe replied trying to get out of Ilaria's grasp.

"Yes, and you will spend about one and a half of them in the shower" she exaggerated as Circe rolled her eyes.

Circe decided to stop beating herself up every time she found herself enjoying her time with Ilaria, and every time she found herself smiling or showing emotions to her new friend.

"Fine fine fine" she gave in.

The two girls left the gym and headed for Ilaria's room, which seemed to have become their normal gathering place.

Fleur and Kaia were already there. Lying on Ilaria's bed as if was their own, doing their nails.

"I wish we could go" Kaia complained as she finished paining her thumbnail baby blue.

"No you don't" Ilaria said.

"I can't believe I have to babysit Raffaele for the night" Circe groaned as she made her way into the bathroom to shower.

The other girls giggled at her misfortune.

She didn't spend too long in the shower, she knew Ilaria would come in and drag her out if she had to, so she quickly washed herself and shaved before drying off and making her way out to the bedroom so Ilaria could begin her makeup.

"How am I supposed to fight in this?" Circe questioned as she moved uncomfortably in her gown.

"Tonight isn't about fighting Circe" Ilaria answered her as she put her shoes on.

"And why are you making me wear heels?" Circe grumbled, making the three girls giggle at her.

"I cant move in this, give me a minute" She huffed as she disappeared into the bathroom for a minute.

"If you do anything to the dress I will kill you Circe!" Ilaria shouted.

Circe walked out of the bathroom and Ilaria visibly relaxed when she saw she hadn't altered the dress in any way.

"You girls look beautiful" Kaia told them, making Fleur's jaw tick.

Ilaria smiled at her in thanks as she looked down at her dark green ballgown.

She had always loved dressing herself up from a very young age. She used to force Mario into her dresses sometimes, before her father found out and punished the both of them.

The dress was fully dark green, with a bodice covered in intricate designs and the occasional jewel. It had a puffy green silk skirt that reached the floor. She wore a gold necklace Mario had given her for her sixteenth birthday and a pair of gold earrings to accessorise.

Her long caramel coloured locks were curled at the ends, and two pieces were pulled away from her face, tied at the back with a gold clip. Two other pieces were left loose in the front, framing her pretty features.

Her heels were also gold, and her makeup was simple, a smokey eye look with nude lip stick.

Ilaria admired Circe's dress silently, knowing the girl didn't like compliments.