Friend or Foe

"Kam

"Kam. Kamaiyah. Baby wake up." I said attempting to get Kam up. My mother was dropping the kids off soon and I knew she would want to be up when they got here. I watched her sleepy eyes drag themselves open and when she saw me up she looked confused.

"Mmm, what time is it?" She groggled, her voice was hoarse from how much she'd cried and she looked deflated.

"7:30. You got to get up mama. Here take this." I said handing her aspirin as she sat up. She stared at me for a few moments then took it and threw it back.

"Thank you." She uttered and set the glass of water down.

"You were crying in your sleep." I said as she gathered herself and she sighed.

"I'm still in shock. I know she's okay but I really can't believe she'd do something like that." I nodded in understanding and sighed when I saw her eyes fill up again.

"You know why I made such a big deal about you taking the kids yesterday?" I shook my head.

"You know how we grew up Chris. Dysfunction, abuse, neglect. I shared a lot of the things I went through with you at the time, but there was a lot I was exposed to that I never told you. Things I promised I wouldn't tell anybody. Nobody protected me and Jody, and after the shit Michael pulled at the hotel that night I promised myself I would never be away from my kids."

"I'm their dad, you know I would never hurt them. Ever" I affirmed and she nodded.

"I know, but it's more than just trusting you Chris. I don't know who you're around, who you have around them. You don't know what people are dealing with, you don't know peoples thoughts or intentions. Look at Janaie...I just get so scared." She went on and I sighed before rubbing her back.

"We're a team. I would never have nobody I didn't trust around my kids. You think it was easy for me to agree to have you take on Heiress? I was apprehensive too." I finished and I watched her raise her guard slightly.

"But I know the person you are, I know how much love you have to give. I trust your heart." I finished and by now she seemed less defensive.

"I'm a father before anything else. Don't let our shit get in your head. You can trust me with our children." I spoke again and she sighed, but I knew she heard me.

"I know."

"Come on, they gone be here in a second." I encouraged and she drug herself up to go to the bathroom, but before she fully closed the bathroom door she poked her head back out to look at me.

"...What?" I asked and she smiled small.

"Thanks Chris." She said and I smiled back before she went in and I heard the water go on.

"Yup." I said answering Mijo's call.

"Whats up man. Where you at?" He spoke, sounding just as cool as he always did.