chapter 27 ✦ switched

I strolled into Granny's with a fake smile on my face. I spotted Henry sitting in a booth by himself with a book in his hand. So this is the famous book everyone talks about. I sat down across from him and look more closely at the book. Peter Pan, it read. I laughed and he looked from his book and smiled.

"What?" He asked with a little smile.

"After all that you've been through, you're reading about the most lied about fairy-tale in existence." I pointed out.

"It's not all lies," He mumbled and my ears perked up. "Besides, I'm only reading it because you're in this book."

"Really?" I exclaimed and he nodded. He flipped through the pages and stopped, turning the book around to face me. I froze in my spot and stared at the page illustration. My eyes scanned the picture of Peter and I kissing, passionately. I read the caption at the bottom of the picture. True Love Never Fails. Henry's eyes filled with pain and sorrow.

"He really loves you, ya know." I paid attention to the present tense of the word love. Loves? "I mean he isn't dead."

"How do you know?" I asked, softly and he reached across the table and grabbed my hand.

"I have the Heart of the Truest Believer. I know so." Henry insisted. I gave him a little smile and let go of his hand. It was hard to because I felt a spark there and he wouldn't let go either.

"Henry!" Regina called from the door and his head popped up. "Tell Riley, goodbye. I'm taking you to my vault like I promised." He nodded and picked up his book.

"Bye, Riles." Henry waved, taking Regina's hand and going out of the diner. I put my head on the table and when I looked back up, I saw Emma staring at the door. I dropped my gaze and I heard footsteps coming my way.

"I'm sorry," Emma apologized. "I need your help, Riley. Pan's shadow is free and I'm worried. "

"I'm sorry too," I pretended to apologize. "I shouldn't have yelled at you."

"I understand. You lost someone close to you." Emma whispered.

"You're right." I spoke up and she stared at me in surprise. "There is something wrong with Henry."

"Why do you change your mind all of a sudden?" She asked and I tried to hide my smirk.

"He showed me his book and there was a page about Peter and I. It said, True Love Never Fails." I started and she seemed engaged enough. "That got me thinking. When I was below deck, I saw Peter transfer a spell between Henry and him. It must have an effect on him. I'm convinced."

"We have to go to Gold." She hopped up from her seat and started to rush out of the diner.

"Where you going, Savior? And who the bloody hell is Gold?" I exclaimed which made her stop.

"Rumpelstiltskin," She told me and I got up, following her out of Granny's.

*****

I pushed open the door to Mr. Gold's Pawn Shop and the bell rang. Rumpelstiltskin was behind the counter, rearranging whatever magical items that were in his shop. He saw us and backed away from the counter, coming around and going to the front of the counter.

"Ah, Ms. Swan and Ms. Jones. What can I do for you?" He asked and he folded his hand together.

"We need Pandora's Box," Emma demanded, quietly. I smirked on the side of my mouth at her words.

"I'm afraid I can't do that." He politely said and I narrowed my eyes at him. "I can't seem to trust her." He pointed to me and I pretended to be shocked.