Chapter Ten

Chase was barely waking up when the sun was starting to rise. He stretched his legs and yawned. When he looked around, he remembered that he was still at the lake. It had been two days since he got lost. He walked over to the waterfall and took a sip of the cold water. He picked some of the berries off the bushes and rinsed them in the waterfall before eating them. He took another look around. The area around the lake was clear of animals. The day before, animals started to appear around the lake a couple of hours after the sun rose, so Chase figured it would be the same today. He took a jog around the lake. Sometimes, when he would wake up much earlier than when he was supposed to go wake up the other pups, he would go on a jog around town to clear his mind, and it was calming for him.

As he jogged, his mind was empty. He had no thoughts, no memories, no care for time. He felt the wind gushing around him, making a slight whistling sound as he passed. The morning breeze set a chill throughout his entire body but the sensation was relaxing. The cold air allowed him to breathe more smoothly. The chirping of birds, the sound of the waves crashing into the rocks gently, and the sound of the trees swaying due to the wind all cause him to feel at peace. Chase had always been able to relax when he was surrounded by nature. 

Back at the Lookout, he had a spot that overlooked the bay and the town of Adventure Bay. He enjoyed sitting there alone at night, after everyone else had fallen asleep, with his eyes closed. His mind would race, thinking about his past, the present, and how to improve the future. He remembered a moment when Skye had found him there and sat down right next to him. They talked for a while, though he forgot what about. While they talked, Skye leaned her head against his shoulder. That had caused him to blush, but he tried his best to hide it. Luckily for him, because of the darkness and the color of his fur, Skye never noticed his cheeks turn the same color as Marshall’s hat. She had fallen asleep as they were talking so he brought in upon himself to take her back to her puphouse. Chase, himself, was not yet tired so he was planning on returning to the cliff. As he walked back, he heard Skye whisper something that sounded like “I love you”. He turned around and noticed that Skye was asleep, so he didn’t think much of it. (N/A: She did tell him that she loved him, but it was during the period where you are half awake, half asleep, so she didn’t realize it.)

Chase finished his job in the same place where he had started it. He had jogged two laps around the lake without even realizing it. He was breathing heavily and his front right leg was. He looked down at his arm. He remembered that when he was coming down the side of the cliff he had gotten scraped by a root that was poking out from the dirt. It had left a cut roughly two inches in length. The cut wasn’t deep, but it had bled a tiny bit. He carefully took off his police vest and pup pack and walked into the lake. Small fish swam away as he got close. When he was deep enough, he wiped off all of the dried blood and cleaned the wound. Once he was done washing his paw, he engulfed himself underwater. He hadn’t taken a bath since he got lost, which was three days ago. He was looking forward to it. He swam for a couple of minutes before getting out. Once he was on dry land, he shook off all the excess water. He looked up at the sky. He pictured Skye up there, doing tricks with her wings. He was always amazed by how talented the small cockapoo was in the air. He knew that he wasn’t able to perform half the things she could if he tried. Thinking about her made his stomach turn. He missed her very much.

Chase looked around. Deers started popping out of the treeline here and there. “Okay,” he told himself aloud. “Time to leave. But first, we have to prepare.” He walked up to the nearest Bayberry bush. He noticed a large round rock nearby. which gave him an idea. 

During a mission once, they had to pick up apples for Farmer Yumi while she was gone. The barn was locked and all the baskets were inside. Ryder came up with an idea. He told Chase to launch his net over a nearby boulder. Chase did so and Ryder started twisting the net around the boulder. He turned the net until it was tight over the boulder. The ropes that made up the net were so close that they couldn’t see the boulder on the other side. Ryder used the suction cups at the ends to hold the ropes together by placing the suction cups on top of the ropes. When Chase retracted his net, the net came off the boulder smoothly and revealed that the net held the shape of a sack. They filled it with apples and Chase was able to carry a dozen apples in the sack without it falling apart and apples rolling everywhere.

Chase did the same thing using the rock he found near the bush. Once the sack was done, he started filling it with Bayberries. Once he was done filling it, he retracted the net as much as he could until the bag was on his back. He walked over to the same river he had appeared at the lake from. He looked at the lake one last time. He wanted to come back in the future. He started up the river.

He stepped into the river, the moving water was cold just as he remembered from two days ago. He walked up the river. He walked up the river for an hour until he ended up back at the spot where the river splits in two. He turned down the other stream that came off the river. He noticed how it turned back around and turned once more and continued to head north.

Then he heard a scratch of an eagle. The proximity of the mountains caused the noise to echo from every direction. Chase’s ear turned ninety degrees as he heard something crash into a tree. When he turned to the noise, he noticed something falling from the tree. He ran as fast as he could towards the tree. He couldn’t make out the figure of the creature, but he noticed glimpses of golden brown. No matter what it was, Chase thought, it needs my help. He ran faster towards the tree, the bag of Bayberries weighing as much as feathers. The being was going to fall onto a pile of enormous rocks. Chase knew that impact could cause severe damage. Chase jumped onto a large boulder and jumped in the air. The bag of Bayberries got separated from Chase. As he was getting closer to the creature, he held out his arms. He had been on point by the millisecond. He wrapped his arms around the creature. He tucked the creature under him as he brought in his four legs. He closed his eyes. He pushed the creature’s head into his chest so no dirt would harm its eyes. He ended up rolling on the ground on the other side of the boulders for roughly five feet.

“Okay, I think we’re clear,” Chase said, looking up at the eagle above, who started to retreat. That’s when Chase realized that it was not one eagle, but three. He figured that whoever he saved was going to be their dinner if it wasn’t for him.

Suddenly, Chase’s nose started to act out. He smelled something familiar. Chase though, I have only smelled this scent before from…

He turned around and found himself into the most beautiful magenta-colored eyes he had ever seen. “Skye?!”