{10}

Lilith Swan

I felt the stress and stuffiness of the family meeting melt away into the cold March night as Felix and I left the glass house. "Right mia dolce ragazza, let's head back" He smiled crouching down so that I could get on his back. "Please keep your hands, arms legs and feet inside the ride vehicle at all times" He announced with an incredibly cheesy customer service voice. "Oh my god I can see my house from up here" I replied with a mocking valley girl voice as he straightened to his full height, causing him to let out a loud laugh that I could feel reverberate throughout his being. "Seriously though I would hold on tight" Was his final warning as I made sure my arms were firmly wrapped around his neck before he took off at speeds I couldn't comprehend. I was forced to shut my eyes against both the force of the wind around us and the motion sickness from the unperceivable speed, but just as quickly as Felix started running he had stopped and we were both now in my bedroom.

There wasn't much to it but that's exactly how I want it. I was fortunate enough to get the front-facing bedroom growing up and true to Charlie's word it hadn't changed at all aside from the few things I brought back from the dorm. The right wall was just a whole bookshelf, filled with all the books from my English literature and language course that I had to bring with me when I left the dorm and all the new ones I had since gotten after coming home. The left-hand side consisted of a variety of shelves holding different house plants and all my vinyl records from over the years. My desk was on the same wall as the door with my wardrobe in the far corner, and my bed under the window with my favourite dark purple sheets, the walls are lavender and now that I think about it I don't think I could have made it any more obvious that my favourite colour is purple. I hopped off Felix's back and made my way over to the bed, my childhood Paddington bear was waiting for me like he always was.

"I know that you have to watch over me while we're here but it might get quite boring at night if you don't have anywhere else to be, so feel free to help yourself to any of the books on the shelves"  After the last few high-octane filled days, the now calm fallout seemed a little out of place, that and I wanted to talk about the whole 'mate' thing as I still don't quite understand what it means, but I know it's important. "Felix, what does Aro mean when he says I'm your mate?" I asked moving to sit cross-legged on the bed facing the tall vampire placing Paddington on my lap. At the question, he looked nervous and almost sheepish like a child caught in the act of stealing a cookie out the jar.

"Well, 'mates' are a supernatural phenomenon that most otherworldly species experience, although each different species have different names and slightly varying bonds or rituals between them. For vampires, your mate is the other half to your soul, the one person that you could never live without once you've met them. Once you encounter your mate there is a bond that forms that leads to the strong desire to protect and provide for your mate and ensure that they live happy and content. They are your soulmate. Mates are to be protected under law and if you have to kill one half of a mated pair you have to kill the other, because once your mate dies it's like you die too. Many grow depressed and wish to die while others grow mad with a vengeance that can't be cured. These laws were put in place after the death of master Marcus mate Didyme." After his explanation, a subtle look of fear took over his handsome face and I feel sympathy for him. He's probably been waiting for me for so long and now he doesn't know how I'll react. I pat the space on the bed next to me for him to sit down as I give him a judgement-free and hopefully reassuring smile. The bed dipped under his added weight and I place my head on his shoulder.

"I'm not going to reject you if that's what you're worried about Fe" At my words, he visibly relaxed and I could sense his head turn to look down at me. "I knew we were mates when we met in Volterra due to my intuition, but I didn't know what it meant and I suppose with everything going on I pushed it to the back of my mind but, I am willing to give this whole thing ago if you are" I tilted my head to meet his rich crimson orbs as I linked our hands together.

"I wanted to wait to tell you even without knowing the outcome of the trial. I just don't want you to feel like you are forced to love me, humans can't feel the mating bond until they are turned as it is a vampire thing." He brought our linked hands up to his face to place a gentle kiss on min the look in his eyes turned almost melancholy at the sentiment of me feeling forced. 

"I don't feel forced Fe, being with you for these past few days feels...natural and safe. To be fair I always imagined I would be a crazy cat lady English teacher living in Forks for the rest of my days" I joked to lighten the now sombre mood. "Besides, what's the harm in trying right?" His once sad expression now turned content as he smiled down at me.

"Yeah, I'd like that a lot" Flopping down onto the bed I turned my gaze to the stale white ceiling, a small smile gracefully falling onto my face. "How'd you know I was the one anyway?" I was genuinely curious as he must have met countless people both vampire and human alike during his undead days.

"Well, it was like the moment I set eyes on you my soul just went 'Oh look, she's finally here' and I remember feeling so content and excited to be near you. That and you smell like old books, fresh rain and vanilla, it's incredibly soothing and makes me feel both safe and like I want to protect you." Both a sense of flattering warmth and deep confusion ran through me and I felt my brow subconsciously scrunch.

"Well then why does Edward seem to uncontrollable around Bella's blood if mine doesn't have an effect on you?" A deep chuckle erupted from Felix's chest at my question.

"That's because they aren't mates, she's his 'La Tua Cantante' which means 'blood singer'. Her blood is extremely appetizing to him and that's about it, though I suppose they've convinced themselves that they have something for than that" Great. So now not only is Bella delusional about their love but Edward is too, meaning that whatever crazy rollercoaster everyone's been on probably isn't stopping anytime soon. I felt Felix move up the bed beside me to delicately push the loose strands of my hair out my face and place a kiss on my forehead. "You're thinking too hard Amore Mio, it's their problem now. It's time for you to sleep as it's far too late" I wasn't going to disagree, if it wasn't for Bella I would have been asleep already anyway. As if on queue a wave of drowsiness washed over me.

"Goodnight Felix" I yawned getting into bed.

"Goodnight mia dolce ragazza, sweet dreams"

Thank you for reading~

mia dolce ragazza ~ my sweet girl

amore mio ~ my love