I Won't Bite (Platonic/Romantic Prinxiety)

January 31st, 2021
A/N: You guys asked for a Part 2 to Matching Marks, and it is in the works! It'll take me a bit to write though, so have some one shots in the meantime! Also for clarification, you can interpret this as romantic or platonic as the title indicates! Hope you enjoy!

Roman lived in a town where practically nothing happened. He filled his time with playing with his friends and fantasizing about magical creatures.

The most interesting thing that had ever happened to him was his brother Remus disappearing for a whole night when they were ten. He came back in one piece and the only weird thing (well, weird for Remus) about him was his tendency to lock himself in his room during certain parts of the month. Perhaps Roman was imagining things, but it seemed to coincide with the phases of the moon.

Nonetheless, Roman's days were fairly boring. At sixteen, he spent most of his time outside with his close friends Patton and Logan. They would run around the town pretending to fight dragons and witches; sometimes they would fight a combination of the two! Roman dreamed of being a knight. Logan wanted to become a sorcerer. Patton just wanted to own a bakery. It was a pretty simple life. They knew their village like the back of their hands.

There was one place that they had never explored though. On the edge of the south side of the village, there was a raggedy old mansion. It was abandoned and slightly damaged. The windows were covered in heavy, ripped curtains. The dark wood and stone that was used to build it gave the whole building a haunting feeling. There were stories about what had happened to the previous inhabitants.

Roman had never been there. If he was honest, it always scared him. He always felt like he was being watched whenever he stopped in front of it.

Today, however, he was determined to go inside.

"I don't think this is a wise decision," Logan said, standing beside him and inspecting the outside of the mansion. "This building is structurally unstable. It is highly likely that we will get hurt if we go in there."

"Not to mention that there's probably ghosts and other scary stuff," Patton squeaked from his hiding place behind their logical friend.

Roman shook his head. "Clearly the building is stable enough considering it's been standing since I was little, and as for the ghosts, I highly doubt that there are any," he replied. He put his hands on his hips and smirked up at the spooky building. "I'm going in there. If I want to be a knight some day, I've got to be brave."

"You do realize that there is a very fine line between bravery and stupidity," Logan called as he headed up the steps.

He turned and scowled at him. "Are you two coming with me or are you too scared?"

"I am not afraid of such trivial things as ghosts," he said. He straightened his glasses and began climbing the stairs. "It would likely be a good idea for me to accompany you in order to prevent you from doing something increasingly stupid inside. I am not scared."

"I am!" Patton said softly. "I'm not ashamed to admit it either, I'm really scared!"

Logan looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "There is little to fear Patton. With Roman and I here, you are safe. Besides, if there were a malevolent spirit of some kind in there, it would, without a doubt, attack Roman before either of us."

"I can hear you, you know!"

"Oh, yes, I know," he retorted, smirking.

Their bickering put their friend more at ease. He let out a shaky breath and followed them up the stairs. Roman pushed the heavy double doors open.