TRUE IS THE SPIRIT

"Do you always walk around shirtless? If so, I should come around more often."

Derek glanced over his shoulder and watched as Maia walked in. He turned around and leaned against the table.

"I didn't know you were coming over tonight."

She shrugged, "Aren't late nights our thing?"

He nodded in amusement.

"I actually wanted to talk to you," she stated, "About the talisman."

She stepped closer and bowed her head, avoiding his gaze. He noticed that she seemed wary, so he furrowed his brows.

"We'll find it," he reassured.

"Actually, I think I already did."

"Really?"

She nodded.

"Then let's go get it."

He moved to grab a shirt to get dressed but she placed a hand on his chest to stop him. He froze and looked down at her.

"I told you that I was willing to do anything to bring back my brother...and that still applies."

He nodded, "I know. We'll do everything we can."

"Everything except for hurting people."

She met his gaze seriously. He narrowed his eyes in question.

"It won't come to that."

She briefly smiled before pulling his lips to hers. He was shocked at how soft it was compared to their usual passion. It felt like a goodbye kiss, one filled with regret.

He couldn't tell why it felt so different until his throat closed up. He was losing air, so he pulled back from her lips.

She looked sympathetic as he fell back, hitting the table for stability. He looked at her with wide eyes and clutched his throat.

"Wolfsbane," he rasped.

He fell to his knees, hanging onto her hand. She wiped her lips free of the poison. She'd betrayed him with a kiss.

"I'm sorry Derek, but I can't risk it."

She pulled her hand away from his grasp. She gave him one last look of guilt before turning to walk back out.

"Maia, stop!"

She paused with her hand on the door. She glanced back over her shoulder, catching one last look of his writhing body.

"Just stay out of my way," she instructed, "I don't want to hurt you."

She met his eyes,

"Truly."

-

Maia slowly climbed through the window, putting one leg in at a time. Once she was inside, she shut the window quietly.

She looked around the house, observing the design of it. Photos of Kira and her family rested on the mantle. Some of the girl's things were lying on the furniture.

She refocused on her mission. She carefully crept down the hallway, peeking her head into the first door. In the bedroom was Kira's parents.

She took a deep breath before walking in. She kept her eyes on the adults, making sure they were asleep.

She moved to the mom's side of the bed. On her side was a small table. She carefully searched the jewelry box on top of it, finding nothing but rings.