Mission to Recover Eren

A/N - I was going to make this two separate chapters, but I couldn't find a good place to end it, so I just combined them into a larger chapter.

Do let me know if you guys want larger chapters and longer wait times or shorter chapters and quicker updates.

This was full blown Titan country they were heading into, with no extra supplies to refuel or rearm once they were out, you had what you had. The one objective they had was to recover Eren whatever the cost was, because as long as they could get him back, humanity still had a chance against the Titans.

Every single one of them was expendable, their lives held no true value when compared to Eren's. That was the reality they faced when Eren was kidnapped, they had to get him back, even if it was just Eren that came back, it would be worth the sacrifices.

It would take them about an hour to reach the forest of giant trees at full speed, and despite the formation encountering a lot of Titan sightings, Erwin ordered the formation to move forward, and to tighten the outside to avoid casualties.

Y/N was riding in a squad with a couple of the recruits who he had been stationed in Wall Rose with, namely Connie Springer and Sasha Blouse, the three of them also had Jean for company on the left side of the formation.

"Hey, Connie." Y/N spoke up to the small soldier to get his attention. "I heard you back there, you want to know why they did it, right?"

"Yeah." Connie responded rather grimly. "I have to know." He repeated what he had said. "I need to be there when they explain, I have to look them dead in the eyes while they tell us why they did it."

"Connie, I'm gonna tell you that's a really bad idea." Y/N told him. "While I was an MP, I met some really bad people. They always tried to justify why they did it." He said. "Stealing food because they were hungry, bribing officials to get out of jail time. Dealing drugs for money. Killing people because they cheated."

"I let them justify their actions and said nothing in return." Y/N spoke. "I sat across from a woman who murdered her husband and his mistress, she had their blood all over her and I thought she had a point, that she was justified to kill him because he slept with someone else, but I've learned that is not the right way to think."

"Connie, they killed a quarter of a million people when they broke the walls, a fifth of the people living in the Walls. I'm telling you Connie, do not let them try to justify it. It will just lead to you feeling confused about whether they were justified or not." He explained. "There is no reason to kill two hundred and fifty thousand people. It is inexcusable, genocide is not justifiable."

"But... they were our friends." Sasha was the next to speak up. "We trained together for three years, why would they do this?"

"I'm not saying you can't ask questions and get answers." He assured them. "Just don't let yourselves become numb to their reasoning. Just don't accept their reasons without thinking it through properly."

"What about you then?" Jean asked Y/N. "You said you were in the MP's, did you have to do bad things to good people?"

"Yes."

"Do you regret it?" Jean asked, curious to what his answer would be.

"Some things yes, some things no." He responded. "I've made a lot of decisions in the spur of the moment, some were bad..." He thought back to the time he murdered that noble family in the middle of nowhere. "And some were good..." His mind flashed to when he had that Reiss girl in his hand, she was terrified and hysterical all at once, he could've ended her with the slightest of squeezes, but he chose to let her go instead.