Chapter 15

"MY LORD, THE POST HAS ARRIVED," Geoffrey, the stout butler, announced as he entered the west drawing room of the Mansfield estate, the following Southampton evening. He carried in his hand, a silver tray piled with letters on top. 

Lady Margaret Seymour dropped her knit work on the carpet as she rushed towards the butler, who flinched to maintain his composure as his lady's excited form approached him like a bear pouncing on a fish. Though neither the lady of the house could be classified as a bear, nor he a fish. 

"Oh, I hope the boutique in London responded, it has been months since I have written to them for Rebecca's engagement dress," The lady muttered as she skimmed through the bunch of letters she picked up and paced about the drawing room.

"How many months exactly?" Lord Oscar Seymour asked, an amused smile on his face as he tapped his cigar on the ashtray on the table to his side, having quickly sneaked in a puff as his mother was now to be too occupied to notice. 

"Four, perhaps five, I've lost count," She responded in frantic vigor, her eyes scanning the recipient's address of every letter one by one.

"Mama, I got engaged only weeks ago," Lady Rebecca Seymour pointed out, confusion evident on her face.

"Precisely," Lord Adam Seymour added in his own amused tone. "It is all in the art of advance preparation, isn't it mother?"

Rebecca scoffed in frustration, how stupid of her to expect any less of her mother. "I take it you have decided on names of the children for my convenience as well?" She huffed with evident annoyance and received a shocked gasp from her mother.

Everyone present in the room turned to look at her, even Geoffrey, who had been waiting for a dismissal signal from the lady of the house who had now entirely forgotten he was still in the room. An awkward silence prevailed and Rebecca instantly regretted having used the word children in her sentiment.

"Of course I have," Lady Margaret Seymour announced slowly as she swallowed. She had been meaning to bring up the subject so she could discuss the names she had in mind, but she had wondered what would prompt the subject and now when Rebecca herself had started it, she couldn't resist.

It was now Rebecca Seymour's turn to gasp in disbelief. Was she not allowed to control any part of her life?

"Anyway, there is not a single letter from the London boutique, how infuriating," Lady Seymour sighed, changing the subject. Perhaps the children names could wait. "I suppose we would have to make do with what the seamstresses and boutiques here in Southampton have to offer."

"Yes and you shan't worry about that mother," Rebecca announced as she rose up from her seat on the sofa and walked towards the window of the drawing room, peering out into the calm evening weather. "For I have already contacted Madame Carpe, selected all the necessary fabric and sent my measurements to her. She just informed me yesterday that she had begun the work on my dress."

Lady Margaret Seymour gasped, her gasp louder than ever before.

"Good heavens," her husband, Lord Seymour, who had been quietly reading the paper, uttered, "One would think there isn't enough ventilation in the drawing room."

Ignoring the remark entirely, the lady of the house looked at her daughter, sporting a horrified expression on her face.

"Madame Carpe? That scandalous French spinster with her abhorrent ideas and bold conversation? No, I declare you will not wear a gown designed by her, I forbid you to!"

"I overrule your objection, mother," Rebecca answered confidently, turning to face her, "Madame Carpe is a talented and successful seamstress and her designs are immaculate. Besides, Diana and Alicia have worn dresses by her multiple times and each time they've stood out in every room."