Chapter Twenty-One

A/N: I PROMISE THIS IS THE LAST CHAPTER IN THE DREAMWORLD

I was about to fight an actual god, the only phrase that ran through my head was 'what the bloody hell was I doing?'

Dolos is most likely millennia's old and is far better trained in close-quarter combat. What did I have? A couple schoolyard fights where I got my ass kicked ... every. single. time.

I'm a mortal teenage witch facing off with a Greek god, who without a doubt, probably has godly strength and agility on his side.

I stood off to the side, with Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon before me. The three brothers were all trying to give me combat tips at once, while I tried to figure out how to properly secure the armor that was provided to me by Hades.

Among the chaos brought by the three's shouting, a bright silver light flashed and a figure appeared to my left.

"Sorry I'm late, I had to stop Ares from starting World War III again." The strangely familiar woman spoke, putting her hands on her hips before addressing the brothers. "Stormy, Gloomy, and Fish Food, always a pleasure to see you boys."

"Athena." Zeus seemingly scolded the witty goddess, which was not a smart move in my book.

"Oh please, you behave less like my father and more like a manwhore older brother. I may have popped out of your head but trust me there's nothing going on behind those eyes."

Athena's words enticed a chorus of snickers from Hades and I, and a full on cackle from Poseidon.

"It's honestly a mystery to me, why Hera hasn't left you for one of the Nords yet." Hades added, making Poseidon hum a sound of agreement.

"You really need to start treating her better, mate. Poor thing doesn't deserve the stress that you constantly put her through." I continued with a nod.

"Granted she has done horrible things to your lovers and their children, but all of it was in retaliation to your asshole ways."

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." Poseidon quoted.

"Don't I know it." Hades nodded, more than likely thinking about Persephone.

"We're supposed to be preparing Lenora for her fight with Dolos, not having an impromptu intervention." Zeus said, definitely trying to get out of the subject.

"You have a real problem, brother." Poseidon joked, a look of mock empathy on his tanned features.

"Yeah, he's a dick." Hades chuckled with a smirk.

"It's been negatively affecting this family for millennia's." Athena commented bluntly, arching her right brow in an amused fashion.

"What the hell did I get myself into?" Harrison muttered with a scoff. "I just wanted to get the hell out of Lenora's head, not act as a therapist for a dysfunctional family of Greek deities."

"Nothing we can do about it now, Harry." I laughed, grinning widely at my companion.

"I would suggest the twin axes, but don't throw them. It's not cool, you're just giving your weapons to your opponent." Athena told me, nodding to the axes on the weapons table that she had previously conjured, earlier in the conversation.

"I've never used axes before." I admitted nervously, eyeing the beautifully crafted weapons.

"You've never used a sword either, but you decapitated Medusa with one not even a couple of hours ago." Harry pointed out with a raised brow. "Something tells me you're going to have a lot of firsts in this labyrinth."

"Scrawny kid is right, your instincts will guide you. Those axes are to be an extension of your arms. Metaphorically, of course." Poseidon advised, only to have Hades butt in.

"Or literally, depending on how this goes."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence, Hades." I replied sending the god an unamused look.

"Anytime, red." He chuckled, grinning widely and shooting finger guns at me.

"Just ignore him, we do it all the time." Zeus advised me with a sigh of annoyance.

"Rude." Hades commented, while Poseidon snickered and Athena smirked.

"Alright, do any of you actually have any actual combat advice? Because I've gotten my ass kicked in almost every fight I've been in!" I asked seriously, all of my joking tone vanishing once reality hit.

"You're smaller and faster than Dolos, stay moving and use that speed to your advantage." Athena told me with a reassuring nod.

"Damn, where were you when I was getting my ass kicked by Bellatrix Black and her friends?"

"Preparing your blessings for a different war." The goddess replied with a deadpan expression.

Well, shit.

I picked up the axes and swiped them a few times to get a feel for their weight. They were light enough to use without exhausting myself but heavy enough to do some damage.

"Are you ready, little mortal?"

Turning to face the irritable god, I kept my face blank and nodded. "Are you, you housefly with an exaggerated sense of self-worth?"

"Not bad." I heard Hades tell the others, before being shushed.

"You're one to talk, little one." Dolos scoffed, rolling his eyes at my feigned confidence. "You are dueling a god in a desperate attempt to save your soul!"

Good point, but it's a little late to back out now.

"Let's finish this so I can go home and you can skulk in whatever decrepit hole you crawled out of." Without another word, I made my way to the arena, axes in hand.

"You're wish is my command, mortal."