Chapter 1 The Egg Cave

The world was different then what the hatchlings were used to. A wall of green surronded them, which was both comforting and intimidating in ways they couldn't understand. The Silver took a cautious (and wobbly) step forward towards the green wall before losing his balance and hitting his head against the wall, which was softer and warmer then he expected.

"My my, what a curious dragon you are. That gift could be both a blessing and a curse, depending on how you use it, my little Zekoa," the wall said. Zekoa looked up, having learned his name he wondered what being could be so powerful they could give him a name? The Blue reached the wall next and looked for places to climb, with the Gold following close behind. The Bronze kept an eye on the Blue and Gold while the Red nudged the Black, who had yet to stand up.

"You two climbing on me will be very strong, and bitter rivals, Rakier the Blue and Tallus the Gold," the wall said again. This time it was the Black's turn to be impressed, so impressed he stood up to look at the wall in its entirety. "Alken the Bronze and Pyra the Red, you more like to observe, although Pyra, you seem most concerned about Ram the Black, I am too. Ram, you are so small, but please remember that it's not always a bad thing."

"ForestWind? ForestWind it's just me," a much deeper voice said.

The green wall---no---Mother, shifted slightly as a white mass appeared above her, "WhiteFire? I can't do it, I can't give them away," Mother said.

"Oh my love, please tell me you did not name them," Father said.

Mother stayed silent.

"Our riders are coming soon. What do you plan on doing?"

"I'll fight if I have to, I can't stand the thought of them being a mindless puppet. Look at how smart Zekoa is! Or how strong Rakier and Tallus are, do you want that to go to waste?"

It was Father's turn to be silent.

Mother snorted in triumph.

"Alright. How do you plan on doing this?"

"Through your Hoard Tunnel."

Father thought about it as he watched the hatchlings learn their new bodies. He nodded and glided to a spot where the hatchlings couldn't see, moving something that made a loud sound. Father poked his head up again and Mother stood up, gently nudging the hatchlings.

"WhiteFire? Have they hatched yet?" A tiny high pitched voice said.

"Aaron? No, no he was suppose to come later, go ahead and go my love I'll keep him busy, just please no matter what don't come back for me," Father said quietly, then loudly, "Aaron the eggs are hatching soon, so I'll join you and give ForrestWind privacy."

When Father left Mother hurried the hatchlings onto her tail; far enough down to where her moving down to reach the bottom of the cavern floor with her front claws wouldn't affect them, but close enough when she did the move they could hold on. Mother gently lifted her tail and brought it close as she jumped down the rest of the way. She moved the hatchlings onto her back and moved as quick as she could while still being quiet.

The hatchlings sensed Mother's distress so they hurried into the space where a rider would go, just in front of her wings and at the base of her neck. They eased into an even smaller cavern that had glittering coins lining the wall. "Most of this is gold from jobs we've done, hoards aren't anything special though, especially the cost we've paid to have this," Mother said.

"It shines aginst your skim," Zekoa barely managed.

"You truly are a smart child," Mother choked out.

"Where aw we goin," Pyra managed.

"Somewhere safe," Mother whispered as she eased a boulder out of the way of a tunnel and put it back afterwards, plunging them into a darkness akin to their eggs.

"Iz Fater comin?" Rakier said.

"Please children, be quiet," Mother said.

"Aw we in dangar?" Alken said.

"Not yet, but you need to listen to me just in case we are. Right now you have skin that is the color your scales will be. When your scales grow in you will shed your skin and gain both your scales and wings. Your fire will come later, and you will gain one of two types of fire. There are Streamers like your Father who blow a constant stream of fire, but the fire is weaker. Then there are Spitters like me, dragons who can only spit out one fireball, but it is extremely hot," Mother whispered. They walked in silence as Mother listened for something, anything. Mother huffed and shook her head slightly. She put the hatchlings down and shook out her scales growling slightly.

"Whats wong Muher?" Tallus said as Mother turned to where they came from.

"I'm sorry, but I must check on your Father, stay here and wait for us, if you see either of us with something on our backs, run as far away as you can and don't let us know you're there," Mother growled and charged towards Father.

With that, the hatchlings were alone.