28 | in a heartbeat

28 | in a heartbeat

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

There is something nostalgic about standing in the middle of the Valencia Airport with my bags packed and ready to go.

Only this time — I'm a different woman.

My hair is no longer straight, giving way to the natural curls on top of my head. I've let myself go since coming to Spain — my ass is fatter, I have a freer mind (despite the decision sitting in front of me), yet I have this feeling weighing heavy on my chest.

And I have a man by my side, holding my hand and carrying my suitcase behind him.

"I upgraded your ticket to first class, by the way."

After checking in and sending my luggage to the plane, Matteo and I stand in a corner before the security check with his arms around me and mine around him.

He stares at me for a moment and I'm glad my flight isn't for another two hours so I can spend at least a couple more minutes with him.

I kiss him, not wanting to pull away but I have to breathe, "I don't want to say goodbye."

He pushes a curl behind my ear and kisses my forehead before burying me into his warm hoodie-covered chest, "Then don't. We'll see each other again eventually, mi amor."

"Eventually." I repeat. Even though I know that there is a chance of me choosing him and seeing him again, I can't help the tear that flees down my cheek. He kisses it away lightly and rests his chin on top of my head. I close my eyes, just savoring in his warm embrace.

"I love you."

The words were said so quietly that I wasn't even sure who said it. Glancing up, I meet Matteo's eyes, mine watering with grief and hope. He stares at me with an indecipherable look — one I could spend months trying to interpret.

It's only then that I realize what just happened.

"W-What?" I sputter out. Maybe I'm just hearing things.

He curses under his breath and looks down, "I didn't want to say it yet because I didn't want you to feel pressured by anything, but you're leaving, amor. And I can't let you leave without telling you that I love you, Monique Harper."

"Teo..." I trail off, not knowing how to respond. If I say it back, Lord knows, I'm not getting on that plane.

"You don't have to say it back, Mo. Just turn around and go through that checkpoint and call me whenever you've made your decision."

"Matteo, wait." I exhale shakily, "This isn't fair to either of us." He sighs and rests his back against the wall, me removing myself from his hold so I can look up at him without breaking my neck, "My relationship should not be dictated by her."

"It's not." He sighs and tucks his hands into his joggers, "Your job is. And I don't want to be the one that jeopardizes that. You're an amazing woman, so kind and compassionate and so giving, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make sure that you're happy. If it's step back so you can focus on your work, I'll do that."

"And if I want to stay with you?" I question, folding my arms across my chest, not in an aggressive manner or anything, just to keep my hands warm in this cold ass airport.

He meets my eye, "Then call me on Wednesday. I'll pick up and be at your door in a heartbeat."

I bite my lip and smile a bit, "In a heartbeat?"

He nods once and returns the smile, "In a damn heartbeat, bebita."

I know he told me not to say it, but I can't help it.

"I love you too, Matteo Romano." The weight on my heart lifts.

It's with that, I tip toe and kiss him once again before taking my carry on from where I rested it on the floor and walking away towards the security check in.

The line wasn't so long considering its a red-eye flight so I got through in five minutes. After getting through, I look back to see Matteo still staring at me, his expressive eyes thoughtful and a smile hidden under his bitten lip. He has a hand to his chest, his palm flat against his heart.

I copy his action, and give him one last look before turning and walking away.

here's another one STRAIGHT FROM THE TOILET ✌🏾😊✌🏾

also, this reeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaal short but awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww THEY SAID THEY LOVE EACH OTHER