21. Ex's & Oh's

Nathaniel was seated on an armchair with a bottle of vodka in his hand. He was in Sean's room, waiting for him to return.

Meanwhile, he tried to analyze the reaction Ariana had given on the mention of her mate's name. Surely, it had affected her. He would've been affected too if somebody had mentioned the name of his mate.

But that was not his worry. He wanted to know whether Ariana had moved on or not. Earlier, it was none of his concern. However, now that it involved Sean, he needed to make sure that his friend wouldn't end up getting hurt.

His thoughts wandered off towards Ariana. Though he had never attempted to befriend her, he used to notice her all the time.

She was usually dressed in shirt or tops or sweater paired with Chanel skirts, pants rarely. Back in their world, females were taught to dress up very feminine. Seems like Ariana didn't let go of that teaching.

What shocked him the most was seeing her name at the top of list during both the semesters. Only then, he realized that she wasn't here just to divert her mind but to achieve something in life.

His thoughts were interrupted when somebody opened the door and the lights flickered on.

"Hey Nate!" Sean greeted him with a smile on his face. He closed the door and sat on another armchair near Nate. He glanced at the bottle in his hand.

"Dude, you drink way too much. What kind of doctor will you be when you don't take care of your own health? You'll die way too soon."

Nate raised his eyebrow while a faint smile played on his lips.

"You're right, man. I'll die soon. You live forever. Why don't you give me your imported pack of cigarettes', then?"

"You know what?" Sean stood up. "I will."

He reached under pillows of his bed and tossed a pack of cigarette towards Nate.

Nate caught it in the air. "Somebody's in a good mood."

Just as he said it, the smile on Sean's face vanished. "By the way, who's Xavier?"

Nate hesitated to speak. After thinking for a while, he answered, "Her ex."

Sean took the bottle from his hand and took a big sip of vodka. "So, what's the story?" He asked bitterly.

"He dumped her..." Nate started.

"...for her sister..."

"...who was mine at that time." Nate whispered painfully. He snatched the bottle from Sean's hand and drank it empty.

Sean cleared his throat. "If I didn't have feelings for Ariana, I would've suggested that you two hook up to get back at them."

Nate tossed the bottle aside and stared at him. "That's a great idea. We could totally do that. I'll ask Ari tomorrow."

Sean scrunched his face in distaste. "What the fuck! I was just trying to lift up your mood. And don't you dare call her Ari."

Nate laughed heartily as he stood up and walked out of the door. "Go to sleep and dream about me and her together."

"Yeah and you dream about me and your sister together." Sean shouted as he slammed the door shut.

**~~~**

It was 8 in the morning. Ariana got up and prepared her bag for the classes scheduled that day. She walked out of her room and was about to lock it when someone grabbed her by her arm and spun her around.

She took a look at the person's face but couldn't recognize him from anywhere. She tried to move her hands but they were pinned by him. Suddenly, he tried to kiss her.

Ariana used her body's force to push him. He lost his balance and fell down. He got up and tried to grab her once again when Alexa came from behind and hit his head with her shoe.

"You bitch-" He was about to attack Alexa when Ariana grabbed him by his neck and slammed him against the wall.

Nate and Sean, who were waiting downstairs, rushed there when they heard Alexa scream for help. Nate turned towards a panicked Alexa for explanation. "When I came up, I saw this guy trying to kiss Ariana forcefully."

Nate's eyes widened with rage. He pulled that guy from Ariana's grip and started landing punches on him.

Meanwhile Sean rushed towards Ariana, who had calmed down a bit. "Are you okay?"

Ariana nodded yes as their eyes locked. She had seen fury in Nate's eyes but she saw an emotion, much more intense, in his eyes. She felt as if he was as much hurt as she was. Something about it made her feel cared for.

They were broken out of trance when the heard the guy groan in pain. "Stop! Please..."

Even though Nate didn't stop, he confessed. "I was paid to do this."

Hearing that, Ariana asked Nate to stop. "Who paid you?" she asked.

"...Sam Anderson."

"That crazy bitch!" Alexa spat.

"No..." Sean stepped forward. "You're lying. Tell us the truth."

"I am." The guy whimpered. "She planned to take photos of me and this girl together for God knows what." He pointed towards Ariana.

"If you don't believe me, then ask her only. She told me that she would hide in this room to take the photos." He continued.

"I don't believe you." Sean shook his head in denial.

Nate snapped. "Open your eyes, Sean. We all know that she has a motive to do all this. And she only acts innocent in front of you because she's obsessed with you. I know what a delusional narcissist she is in reality."

"Sam, wherever you are, come forward." He used his Alpha voice, which had even greater effect on humans than on werewolves. No human could resist this voice.

Accordingly, Sam came out from her friend's room with tear-streaked face. Sean snatched the phone from her hand and opened gallery to see photos taken by her of Ariana and that guy.

"Sean..." Sam tried to reach him.

Sean stepped backwards and looked at her with disgust. "Here I was, defending you like an idiot! How could you do something like this to another girl being a girl yourself?"

"No...I just needed photos of them kissing to send you. Nothing more than that." Sam started to sob. "It's all because of her!" She pointed at Ariana. "She came between us."

"There was never us, Sam." Sean threw her phone on the ground.

"Sean..." Sam begged. "I love you."

"No, you do not." Sean scoffed. "You're obsessed with the idea of me being your childhood sweetheart just because we know each other from childhood. But being in love is a different thing. Honestly, grow up."

He walked out of there leaving a crying Sam, a furious Nate, a disgusted Alexa and a puzzled Ariana.