Chapter 2: "We're both Nuts"

ابدأ من البداية

Again, she waited 10 more days for a reply, and every single week without fail, Alex would always reply making her giggle her heart out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Y/n

Did you know, there's only one type of nut in America and 4 in Mexico, which is why we are a better country. The nuts are me, my brother, my mom, my dad and the American nut is totally you.

I seriously think we should get a pet squirrel now... even though we can't actually have one, I drew an ugly one for you. Oh, wait that was just a foto of you.

 Oh, wait that was just a foto of you

I'm NOT BEING MEAN... just sarcastic ;)

P.S. In Spanish, foto is spelled with an f, not a ph. I'm not stupid-

Sincerely,

Alex

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Their humor slowly grew on each other, and they became extremely close and open with the other. At the pace in which their bond was growing, it was only bound for them to become the best of friends. In a matter of months Y/n had told Alex everything there was to possibly know about her and he did the same. He could list all of her classmates along with her opinions them and she could do the same for him. Whether if she hated someone, or liked someone a bit too much, Alex would know. And he definitely had a say in who she found attractive. Y/n would only roll her eyes and bring up the story of the infamous glue stick incident whenever he did.

But as those same weeks went by, Y/n's classmates began to drift away from their partners and forget about their respective pen pals. One of them wasn't allowed to write anymore because stamps were too expensive. Apparently, his pen pal lived kind of close so it took a shorter time, which meant more stamps. And eventually, even Mrs. Tegucigalpa didn't bother keeping track of everyone and their buddies abroad. Y/n could've cared less: talking to Alex was the highlight of her week.

She also never forgot his birthday. As Christmas rolled by, Y/n promised herself to get something for him every year until she could finally see him. There was only a local pharmacy where she could spend her allowance on. Which wasn't helpful unless he wanted candy or medicine. Y/n was pretty sure he didn't want either.

There was nothing good there except for one thing that immediately caught her eye when she spotted it.

A snow globe.

She loved snowglobes, especially the soft little flakes inside that rained down after being shaken. The miniature model of her hometown glistened in the glass ball and she knew deep down that Alex would want to have it. So she spent all 6 dollars of her chore money on the figure and kept it in her room, determined to get another one for his next birthday.

She never told Alex what his gift was, only insisting that she got him one in the first place.

The weeks after went by lightning and Y/n soon found herself in front of a new classroom, the one in the 3rd-grade section. She tried her hardest to talk to other girls, even trying to talk with the boys but she had no luck. Her friends from before thought she didn't like them anymore and the boys well... didn't want to hang out with a girl, no matter her athletic ability.

Soon Alex went from being her closest friend to her only friend. The other girls were too busy talking about boys, the school play, or playing tetherball and the boys were too occupied playing soccer. All except for Alex. She began to wish that there was a faster way to talk to him.

One time, in her letters she was ranting to him about these problems and the drama between Ellie and this boy (who Y/n thought was cute) named Bryce.

But that drama had passed by the time Alex could respond. The yearning to talk to him faster grew heavier and heavier. More months were passing by and the delay was eating her up from the inside.

Especially when Y/n's parents were on the brink of divorce.

Y/n had told Alex about them arguing and yelling but by the time he could respond or say anything, she was already being fought over by her parents on who should take custody, the wedding rings on their fingers significantly not present. She was 10, now a fourth-grader, already deep in a pit of sorrow, her ledge keeping her from falling down were Alex's words.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Alex,

Having divorced parents absolutely sucks. What the heck is up with all the moving every weekend and the desperate attempts to try and spend time with me? It's so dumb. I wish I could hang out with you in person so I would have a good excuse to not have to go ice skating with my mom after school. Y mi tarea de matemáticas SUCKS. I hate reciprocals so much, probably more than how much I hate dad's spinach casserole.

Love, and probably vomit too (that spinach casserole is asquerosa)

-Y/n

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only good thing to come out of the divorce, she thought, is that I can go to the store near dad's house to get a new snow globe.

In one of her letters, she finally decided to ask Alex, to see if maybe he could find a method of faster communication. She could see her mother was not happy with the number of expenses for stamps, especially now that she didn't have the combined income of her husband. When Y/n got his letter the next days, she fully expected to be let down and empty-handed; being forced to write letters until she was 18-

So you can imagine her shock when Alex brought up something called emails.