Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Home again

Hope's POV:

The TARDIS materialised outside my house, and I got ready to say goodbye to the Doctor. "I love you." I said sadly. "Don't be too long okay? I'm going to miss you so, so much." I had to try hard to stop myself from crying. My voice broke when I said goodbye and walked out, and I couldn't stop the tears this time. I sat down on the pavement and watched as the TARDIS dematerialized, and when it had disappeared, I sat with my head in my hands, sobbing silently. I hadn't noticed that Luke had come out and seen me, and when I heard his footsteps, I looked up and smiled. My eyes were red and puffy, and I still had salty water dripping down my cheeks. "Are you okay?" he asked, sitting beside me. "Stupid question. What's wrong?" I couldn't find an answer that didn't sound like I wasn't madly in love with the Doctor, and I knew Luke liked me so I didn't want to hurt him. I decided that it was time to confess, so I cleared my throat and started to explain. "Luke, I know you like me. I can see it quite clearly actually. But that can't happen. The thing is... I love the Doctor. I went on a date with him yesterday and I know that I love him. I am sorry."

Luke looked very shocked, quite distraught and even a little unimpressed. "You love the Doctor?" he asked.

"Yes. Yes I do."

"You said... you said you hated him! Five years ago you said that and then you said nothing would change your opinion!"

"Luke I'm sorry okay?!"

"No. Not okay! Go away."

"Luke..."

"Just go away! I hate you!"

"Luke! Wait, please! Luke!"

I watched as he stormed across the road and then I had had enough. I kicked the lamppost and then cried out in pain, hopping around. And then I noticed Dylan watching me through the window. "Crap!" I whispered as he flung open the front door and grabbed my wrist. "Oi!" I shouted. "Get off me! Leave me alone!" He dragged me inside and flung me into my room and grabbed his whip. Then I felt a sharp jolt of pain on my back and I let out a piercing scream. He whipped me again and again until I was laid on the floor, bleeding and crying, unable to block out the unbearable agony. He then punched me in the face, giving me a black eye, and he left the room, once again, locking the door behind him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sarah Jane's POV:

I had heard the whip, and I had heard the scream. I had seen Hope being beaten by her mother's boyfriend. I heard her front door slam and I watched from my window as he walked off down the street. I pulled on my coat and ran over to the house, using my sonic lipstick to open the door. Then I ran upstairs and tried to open Hope's bedroom door. "Hello? Is somebody there?" I heard her say quietly.

"Hope?! Hope, it's me Sarah Jane!" I shouted, using my lipstick to get in. I saw Hope laid on the floor, the carpet below her soaked in fresh, scarlet blood. "Oh my God..." I whispered, pulling her up into her bed. I examined the marks on her back where the blood was oozing from, and I looked at her black eye, horrified that that monster had hurt her so badly. She was crying and asking for the Doctor, obviously delirious. I stroked her hair and told her that everything was going to be fine, and I put my jacket around her shoulders as she was shivering in shock even though her head was burning.

I walked her over to my house and entered the attic where Luke, Clyde and Sky were standing in front of Mr Smith. They looked round, their faces registering shock as they saw Hope covered in blood. "What happened?" Luke asked, and I shook my head at him. He got the the message and I laid Hope down on the sofa, covered her with a blanket and watched as she fell asleep. "So," Luke said. "what happened?"

I explained everything, and watched as the anger built up inside my son. "I'll kill him!" he said. "I'll kill the bastard!" Sky slapped him on the arm, telling him not to swear and not to wake up Hope, who was sleeping but still looked like she was in pain. Clyde looked at his watch and said, "I've got to go. Call me if you need me." Sky stood up and went downstairs to make us a cup of tea each, and Luke walked over to Hope and knelt beside her, checking her temperature. "She's still boiling." he said, kissing her forehead. Then I looked out of the window and saw Hope's mum walking down the street. Yet again, I grabbed my jacket and ran out to see her. "Mrs Richmond? Don't go in there. Hope is at my house. Your boyfriend... hurt her. Badly."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope's POV:

One minute everything was black, and the next minute my eyes were forced open by the light. I saw Luke sat next to me, and then the door creaked and Sarah Jane walked in... with my mum!! "Mum?" I mumbled as I sat up, still in pain. "Hello honey. What happened?!" I explained that Dylan had whipped me, and then she whispered, "Regenerate." in my ear. I shook my head at her and she asked why I wouldn't, so I decided to tell her about the Doctor. "I met the Doctor. I travelled with him and he left me before... well, you know. I need to keep the marks so I can show him."

"You met the Doctor? Do you like him?"

"Oh yes. A lot."

"How much is a lot? Hope?!"

"Do want the truth?! I like him so much that I can't bear to be without him, I don't want to be away from him, and now let me give it to you straight. I LOVE HIM!!!" I shouted. My mum looked shocked, but not as shocked as Sarah Jane and Luke did. Sky was standing in the doorway, her mouth wide open too, and I burst into tears. "I'm sorry." I sobbed. "I didn't mean to shout." Mum put her arm around me and I cried even more. I didn't deserve their kindness, but I was happy that I got it all the same. "You love the Doctor?" Sarah Jane said. I nodded. "How long have you...?"

"A while. We went on a date the other day."

"He loves you too?"

"Yes."

"Have you two...?"

"No!!" I cried. I can't believe Sarah would even ask such an absurd question! Then we heard it. The TARDIS. I stood up as the Doctor walked out and said, "Hi! Sorry I didn't answer the phone. Bit busy. Now..."

He trailed off, just as my fist connected with his face.