gardening - aoi x female reader

"y/n!" you hear you best friend aoi call out for you who was at the other side of the school garden. aoi and you both joined the gardening club together and would take care of the plants together.

"oh, hi aoi! how are you today?" you said greeting aoi who was watering the newly grown flowers.

"i'm good, i'm happy to see you!" she said sweetly, wearing her usual smile.

aoi was the most popular girl at school, all the boys liked her and all the girls envied her good looks. despite that all she still always hung out with you.

"oh y/n! the hydrangeas bloom soon, i planted them just for you i know they're you're favorite" aoi said putting her hand on her cheek like always.

you started to blush, aoi has always been so kind and thoughtful towards you. also she's really pretty, like REALLY pretty. but that's how everyone feels about their best friend right?

"you did that all for me?" you asked "you really didn't have to"

"dont be silly! that's what friends do. you mean a lot to me y/n!" she responded holding your hands.

"y-yea you mean a lot to me too aoi.." you said smiling

"oh! i was wondering if you wanted to go on a picnic with me after school, i harvested some of the vegetables that we grew and it would be fun to eat them together don't ya think?"

"oh yea, that's sounds fun!" you replied, nodding.

"perfect! its a date! i'll see you there y/n~" she responded walking out of the garden to her last classes.

-time skip-

when the ball rang you waited outside of aoi's locker like everyday, waiting for her to be done her cleaning duties. while you were waiting you counted 8 different boys slipping love letters into her locker.

after about ten minutes of waiting aoi rushed over to you.

"i'm so sorry y/n! there were a bunch of boys asking me out and i couldn't get past them-" she said frantically opening up her locker.

"oh don't worry, i don't mind!" you said reassuring her

all the love letters fell out and she started laughing her cute laugh that you loved so much.

"woah? eight letters today, it's usually only two or three..." she said picking up all the letters.

"you're getting more and more popular by the day~" you said teasing her and poking her soft cheek.

you walked to the garden together as boys stopped to admire aoi. whenever they confessed their love to her you always got upset.. but that's probably normal, right?

aoi opened up the gates for the garden and pulled a soft fleece blanket out from her bag.

"you brought that blanket with you?"
you asked sitting down next to her

"mhm, thank goodness you said yes to coming or else it would have been a waste"

aoi took out a basket of strawberries you grew together earlier that year that had finally grown.

"don't these look so yummy y/n?" she asked biting into fresh strawberry.

"mhm!" you answered brushing your hands on your school uniform.

"open up your mouth i'll feed you!" aoi said taking another strawberry from the basket.

"oh, uhm ok.." you answered opening up your mouth and your cheeks turning red.

aoi smiled sweetly and fed you the strawberry.

"aw y/n~ you look so cute!" she said putting her hands on her cheeks as you chewed on the strawberry she fed you."

t-thanks aoi.." you answered nervously playing with the tips of your h/c locks.

aoi crawled closer to you, her face only one or two inches away.

"aoi..? what's wrong?" you asked nervously.

aoi's face was completely red as she cuffed your face with her hands.

"y-y/n i have to tell you something!" she yelled

"i- i lik-"

before aoi could finish what she was supposed to say she was interrupted by the sound of her childhood friend akane running into the garden yelling out her name.

aoi quickly let go of your face and got up to see what akane wanted.

"one second y/n.. sorry about that.." she said smiling softly at you

"ao-chan!!" akane yelled holding a bouquet of flowers that he had obviously stole from the other side of the garden "i love you, please go out with me!!" he begged handing aoi the flowers

"hm.. two points..!" she answered taking the flowers from him.

"god damnit! what more do you want from me woman?!" akane asked on his hands and knees

"you can't just give me flowers that i grew with the other gardening club members, that's not romantic at all!" she answered giving akane her hand to help him up.

akane sighed and got back up "cmon ao-chan, let's go home it will be dark soon and as your childhood friend i must protect you!" akane asked adjusting his glasses.

"oh- i um.." aoi replied looking back at you

"it's ok aoi, you should probably go home anyways. don't worry i'll clean up!" you answered with a smile.

"oh ok.. well um see you tomorrow y/n!" aoi answered with a sad smile before walking off with akane.

"..dang it, i missed my chance to tell her again.." aoi thought to herself walking home.

you folding the blanket up and carried the basket with you as you walked home. what was she trying to tell you? you kept thinking to yourself, probably nothing big. she can just tell you tomorrow so it's no big deal!

you arrived at home with a smile and put the strawberries down on the counter thinking of aoi.

word count: 952
published: 1-18-21