twenty-nine

Alouette reaches her desk just in time to see Evie run down the corridor.

"Finally you're here! Where have you been?" She exclaims, and embarrassment washes over her.

"I overslept," she admits. "I hope the President didn't get mad."

Evie gives her a little smile. "Don't worry about it, I suspected so and I told him you were feeling poorly earlier this morning."

The nervousness dissipates from Alouette's chest. "You're a lifesaver."

Evie shrugs. "You lied to him for me too once, it was about time I returned the favour." She glances at her clock and lets out a sigh. "Thankfully you're here, there are so many things to do!"

Alouette frowns. "Things? What things?"

"Andrew Lawson is coming to the Palace. He's a close ally of the President, and we must do all we can to make sure he's feeling welcome. He should be here at any minute, and the President has given me some last-minute paperwork to finish. Will you make sure they have everything they need when he comes up?"

"Sure, don't worry," she tells her, earning a warm smile from Evie.

"Who's the lifesaver, now?"

They run back to their desk, and only some minutes later a man in his fifties walks towards them.

Alouette observes him and his polished clothes, suddenly feeling uncomfortable when his eyes meet hers. They're of a deep, dark grey, and for some reason they make her feel unsafe.

"My presence was requested by the President," he says as he walks past them, as if he expects one of them to try to stop him.

No one does, and he goes into the office, closing the door behind himself.

Alouette waits about ten minutes and then knocks on the door to Harry's office before gently opening it and taking one step inside.

"Yes, Lark?" Harry asks her, and for a second she lets herself observe him. Even though the guest in front of him seems to be rather important, he doesn't seem to have made the effort of dressing in a more refined way than he usually does. He probably doesn't need to, she thinks. He always dresses as if he's expected to model the clothes he wears in front of a camera— which in a sense, he does.

The look on his face is severe, and she wonders if he always looks like that while discussing his alliances or if something was said he doesn't agree with.

"Can I bring you something to drink? Coffee, tea...?" She asks, remembering what Evie asked her.

"Coffee will be fine," Harry replies, and she nods before looking at the older man.

"A coffee for me as well, pretty girl," Mr. Lawson says, and she bites her tongue to keep herself from commenting on his choice of nickname.

"Right away," she says between her teeth before going out again, eager to escape the man's too sharp gaze.

It doesn't take her long to get their orders ready, and soon enough she's walking back to Harry's office holding a tray.

"Here's the coffees you asked for, sir," Alouette says as she steps inside.

Harry sends her a little glance from where he's sitting behind his desk, but doesn't say a word.

She reaches the desk and puts the two cups down on it, slowly, careful not to spill any of the contents, her hands trembling slightly when she can feel the man's hawk eyes on her. He unsettles her, but she tries her best not to let it show and only focuses on Harry's presence instead.