Chapter 17

With tired eyes, Ray hazily waltzed in his comfort space, the library. Time had passed, the time now being 1 AM. He was quite exhausted after persuading Norman to try to escape the next day, and he unconsciously went to the library.

His footsteps were slow and audible. They echoed around the room, perking the ears of (Y/N).

He didn't know she was in there. He thought she was with Isabella or in her bed, sleeping peacefully. But she was in neither situation, instead, she sat on the second floor of the library, quickly finishing Ray's book.

Thousands—no, millions of emotions started to bubble inside the girl as Ray's footsteps halted. It still sounded like there was a small distance between them. A few moments later, a quiet thump can be heard.

Her brow rose.

Hearing this, he's most likely sitting on the nearest chair.

A few shuffles were heard afterward.

'He sounds tired...' She thought to herself. 'I've lost track in time—is it past 12?'

"Wonder where (Y/N) is..."

Her eyes slightly widened. Were her ears deceiving her? Was Ray actually worried for someone like her?

'Ray?'

Slowly and gently, she shut the book and placed it on the ground, quietly crawling to see what Ray was doing from below. Her eyes peered through the shadows and stared at the boy. His figure was slumped forward, and his shoulders were rising up and down once in a while.

She found it weird but not unexpected to have Ray falling asleep in the library instead of on his bed. He was a light sleeper, but it seemed like he had fallen asleep quite fast.

'How vulnerable...' (Y/N) thought to herself as her eyes darkened. Without creating any sort of sound, she crawled out of her little hiding spot and climbed down the stairs. Her bare feet felt the cold wood below her.

Her footsteps were shallow and silent.

She approached him, observing him in a short distance. There were bags under his eyes and his nose was red. Was he crying?

A sigh left her lips as she then pulled a chair and sat on it, mimicking Ray's sleeping position.

Her head faced his.

"I'm sorry..." She whispered, her face contorting into a guilty look. "I'm sorry for screwing you over like that... It's just..."

"The right thing to do. It was the right thing to do.."

He can hear her. Except, it got more muffled the more she spoke. He felt himself drifting off to sleep. But he wondered.

What did that mean?