Chapter 5: The Skeld

(image by innersloth and puffballsunited not mine)

Hello. You made it to chapter 5, now read. Cya lel.

'Yep, that's the Skeld. Nice ain't it?' Matt was saying, but I hardly heard him.

It was massive, with two wings near the front and two massive engines on either side of its rear side. To be honest it looked kinda like a turtle. Or a tortoise. Whatever. A hangar taking up about half of the ship's size opened and we docked.

The first day on The Skeld was mainly uneventful, just unloading crates and stuff. The day after that we were sent our task lists via messaging on the tablets.

'Navigation again, never gets old.' said Matt, sighing.

I had tasks all over the ship, Cafe, where several round blue tables stood, O2, containing the only plant aboard the vessel, Navigation, with its many dials, buttons and screens, Electrical, where wires were all over the place, Reactor, with its core flashing slowly between bright blue and white, the engines, loud and noisy, security, with a bunch of computer screens, admin, with its large green table with a hologram displaying the ship and the people inside it, storage, where all the crates were piled up medbay, with its many sickbeds, weapons, with a window looking out to a gigantic laser turret and shields, with a window looking out on the shield generators. Jeb's tasks were focused on Weapons and Shields, Rose's were in Medbay and O2, Jack in Security and Admin, Bill in Admin and Storage, Ramsey's in Cafe, and Altair, who had nearly as many rooms covered as me, had Reactor, Engines, Storage, Electrical, and basically everywhere where there were wires or power that needed diverting. Matt's were obviously in Navigation but he could also be frequently found in the cafe, lazing around, much to Rose's displeasure.

Four days in, and the planet we had just departed from was just a tiny speck in the distance. 'Hey, Matt' I asked him during one of my tasks in Cafe 'How long do you think the trip would last?'

'With engines like ours? Two months, tops.' He replied casually.

I saw a flash of pink.

'Oh crud!' said Matt, ducking behind a table.

Rose sighed 'Don't bother hiding, I saw you.' she said exasperatedly.

'Dangit.'

'Anyway I didn't come here to tell you off, dummy. Danny, Altair needs your help over in reactor.'

'All right, I'm coming.'

Several days passed in a blaze of tasks. Then a week. Then two. Then the first incident happened.

We were all in the cafe. Rose, Jack and I were eating lunch. Jeb and Bill were chatting, Altair was tapping on his tablet and Matt was humming something.

Then we were all thrust into darkness.

I don't know what happened. The lights must've cut or something. Anyway I could hardly see anything, the only light was from Altair's tablet. That gave me an idea. I pulled out my own tablet and used the light from its screen like a flashlight.

'Woah, what happened? Why'd everything go dark?' I asked.

'Lights must've went out, don't worry, I'll fix it.' Altair replied.

'I'll help.' I said, walking to electrical.

When we got there Altair opened up a panel, revealing a bunch of switches inside. He flicked them until the lights below them glowed green and the lights went up again. 'All right, he said I'll just head to reactor, think I've got a task to do up there. You can finish your lunch now.' he said.

I was in the hallway outside admin when, suddenly, The door slammed in my face.

All right, guess you're at the end of the chapter. Best to leave it on a cliffhanger for now. Don't really have much to say. Oh wait! I just thought of something. Who do you think the impostor is? Comment your guess down below.

Cya!