24

"And where exactly are you planning to go?" I asked Keiji as he dragged me along the dark sidewalks. 

"Nowhere special, don't worry," he smiled as he tightened his grip around my hand. I shrugged and continued.

We walked through our suburban city, past our high school, and past the volleyball gym. All the memories that we had made in this small town were slowly coming back to me. 

Our school especially. It was the place where Keiji and I walked to classes. All the times he made me laugh in the cafeteria were all coming back to me. And that was the same place that we were going to graduate tomorrow. 

The volleyball gym I somewhat detested since it ruined a lot of opportunities to hang out with Bokuto and Keiji. But it was the one reason that the two of them were friends and the only way I ever got to meet Keiji. 

These trails outside of the school were filled with memories as well. We would walk the pathways every day to school and back. 

All of our afternoon walks in the snow, in the summer heat, in the dark nights, and the sunny days. Hand in hand, we would always walk. 

We walked down a street path, picking up our speed a bit. Once we reached the end of the street, Keiji quickly turned and started running, pulling me behind.

I chuckled and started running with him until we reached a small playground in the middle of a neighborhood. 

Keiji slowed down as I followed him onto the mulch. We both sat down on the swings, our hands still locked together. I pushed my feet off of the mulch and gained a bit of momentum.

I looked over at Keiji, who's eyes were pointed straight up at the sky. The dark sky, with millions of stars lighting it up.

As I swung back and forth, I realized how much I would miss these moments. Why did this have to happen to me? I never expected myself to even have a boyfriend, but Keiji? He was too perfect. 

His only imperfection seemed to be me.

I was attached to him in a way that even I couldn't explain. 

But just like all things do, it must come to an end. And this was our end. Right here. Right now. On this swingset. 

Two idiots swinging back and forth in the middle of the night. Holding hands, because we're cliche like that. 

We would talk for hours on end, we would study together, we would do everything together. 

But then I'd ruin it all by saying something stupid like I love you.