i never knew before

"Dad!" Sammy yells

I feel my heart slowly begin to sink. Half in the fact that she has a boyfriend and the other half because she has had a boyfriend the whole time and hasn't told me.

"He is a sweet boy, he really is" Kathy says

I remove my hand from Sammy's. "Sammy?" I question "boyfriend?"

She doesn't look at me

"Why didn't you tell me?"

She shrugs "it never came up" she tells me "I didn't think it mattered"

I laugh "of course it mattered! If some other guy was sleeping in my girl's bed then I would be pissed off! I overstepped my boundaries and I didn't even know it."

"You didn't tell him?" Chris asks

"Well...no"

He shakes his head and looks at me "women"

"I tell you everything" I say to her

"You never asked me if I had a boyfriend or not!" She protests

"I shouldn't have had to!" I yell "I wouldn't have slept in your fucking bed with you if I knew!"

"Well you have a girlfriend and you slept in the same bed as me"

"Tracey and I have talked about it!" I say "did you and dannny talk about it? Does he even know I exsist in your life?"

She sighs "please don't be mad"

"I'm not mad, Sam, I'm disappointed that you didn't tell me"

She sighs "that's even worse" she mumbles

"I'm not understanding" I say "were you trying to hide it from me?"

"It just never came up"

"Does he go to our school?"

She shakes her head "he graduated last year. He lives down the street from us"

The only thing I want to do is run out the door and to the guys house to beat the shit out of him. But I know I wouldn't be right for that.

"Ace, I'm sorry" she says

"I know." I look away from her "but this foes change things."

"How?"

I sigh "you know exactly how, Sam"

She bites her lip and stares at the floor. "Can we still hang out? And go to the party?"

"Of course we can"

****

We get to the party and Tracey instantly runs up to me. "Hey!" She squeels "hey, Sammy"

Sammy smiles "hey"

I grab a bottle of tequila and sip on it as I watch them talk