Chapter 12

When I work up, I was alone. I dressed in a pair of leggings and kept Jonah's Hellhound shirt on. It was my day off, so I really didn't care how ridiculous I looked today. Usually Jonah was here to have a lazy day together, but he wasn't here. I made myself some toast and a glass of milk and curled up on the couch to watch the morning news. Reaching for the remote on the coffee table, I noticed a note:

Hey Lily belle.
Alpha called early this morning to call a meeting. I'm pretty sure it's something bad. I'll fill you in when I get home, whenever that is. Stay safe and relax today. Keep the door locked, don't answer for anyone.... except me of course.
Your hellhound 🖤

Aww he even put a little heart. I just shrugged and ate my breakfast. It was my pampering day, so I was gonna try out this new face mask I'd bought as well as do my nails with the new black fingernail polish. Don't judge, black matches everything.

I made myself another tall glass of chocolate milk (because I'm a grown up and can do that) and made my way back to the bathroom. I pulled my still damp hair up into a messy bun and my kitty eared hand and to hold back the little stray hairs that always tried to get into my masks. I started my steamy bath water and stripped off my clothes and lit a few lavender candles. I poured a good bit of lavender bubbles into the water as well, and added some Epsom bath salts to the water before mixing it all up with my hand. That should help my sore muscles.. maybe I could talk Jonah into another back massage because that was wonderful. Once I'd gotten my bath ready, I stepped in and laid back, letting the water fill the deep tub up to my shoulders. The Amazonian clay mask was already starting to dry and tighten, little pieces crumbling off.

I closed my eyes and thought of Jonah. What was I doing? I'd only been away from Matthew for four months, and here I was falling in love with a biker clubs murderous enforcer. I chuckled to myself, "murderous. More like a teddy bear with tattoos." And it was true. Jonah and the Hellhound inside were my guard dogs. No one could get within 5 feet of me before he would jump up and make his presence known. He was so protective, it was almost funny, but I loved it at the same time. For once in my life, someone cared enough about me to make sure that I was safe.

During this time, i shaved. exfoliated my entire body, shaving after as well (pro tip: shave, exfoliate, and when you shave again, all that grey stuff you see is hair and dead skin cells and you'll be smooth as a baby butt). By then, my mask had almost completely crumbled off, so using a wash rag, I scrubbed it the rest of the way off, revealing tightened skin and a virtually poreless surface. I released all the water in my tub and stepped out into the chilly air, wrapped in a towel. I sat on my bed and checked my phone, no messages from anyone. That sucks.

I lathered myself in a deep moisturizing lotion and pulled on a new pair of leggings, ripping the tags off and sliding them on. I debated on my own shirt or one of Jonah's. I missed him, so I grabbed one of his long sleeved shirts and pulled it over my head, holding the sleeves to my nose and inhaling his musky scent. Ugh. Perfect.

By now it was nearly Lunch time and I'd not heard anything from Jonah. I was kind of worried, as he always would at least text me to let me know what was going on. I fixed myself another piece of toast and a water and opened my phone. I really only had one friend left after leaving everything behind, and I hadn't texted her or seen her in months. I pulled up her Snapchat and snapped a cheesy selfie, captioning it "hey lady"

A few minutes later, my phone pinged, her name flashing across my screen. I smiled, happy she had messaged back but nervous as to what she would say.

"Woman where have you been!!! You just ghosted! One minute you're at work, and the next you've fallen off the face of the earth!" I laughed before FaceTiming her, it was too much to type out or we'd be there all day.

"I had to move!" I shouted as soon as she answered. I giggled at her confused look.

"But why! You just ghosted" she replied, pretty upset that her coworker had jumped ship, leaving the others to pick up her shifts last notice. Now that I did feel pretty crappy about, even now. It was a jerk move, and I felt awful as soon as I had left, but I didn't have a choice. I made sure to tell her that as well.

"I know.. I know. And I'm sorry. Matthew... I went home and he was railing Amber. He was saying he was going to pretty much kill me when he got home from taking her home. I had to run. I'm sorry...." I said ashamed. She had always been weary of Matthew from day one, saying we didn't really go together, but supported us none the less. She was the first person I'd told when my obgyn had informed me that I couldn't have children. We had even joked about uterus transplants and trading them since she didn't want kids at all.

"Girl... I'm sorry. I'm glad you're safe now though. Where are you anyway? The map is showing you somewhere in Virginia? You a hillbilly now?" She said jokingly.

"I've always been a hillbilly! Matthew hated my hillbilly-mess and wouldn't let me be myself.. but now I can be what I want! I love it here... I don't think I'm coming back", I said with a smile. I really was happy, especially with Jonah and work.

"We've got to get together. Where are you working now?" My best friend said as her husky walked by, swishing her fluffy tail.

"Oh um... a bar. I'm just a waitress. It's at a biker club. And in exchange for working, the Alpha gave me this little cabin inside the compound for free. It's cute." I said quickly with a nervous smile. I knew she wouldn't judge, but I still valued her opinion.

"A biker bar? That's different from the Library!" She laughed. "Our little ravenclaw is turning Into a slytherin! I love it!"

To that I burst out laughing. Leave it to her to make a Harry Potter reference. I didn't mention Jonah yet out of respect to her. She was going through a really hard time, getting heartbroken by a man she really cared about. Maybe Jonah knew someone....

"I have to work this weekend, but how about next weekend? I can come up and you can show me around your new town? Hang out and catch up?" She asked, petting that big puppy dog as she snuggled into her, begging for more pets.

I nodded quickly. "Yeah! That'd be great! I'm off on the weekends, so I'll go out and get some fun spa night stuff and extra snacks and stuff. This is gonna be great. Just a warning tho, there's really nothing around here.. it's a coal mining town."

"We'll find something. Even if it's just walking around Walmart." She laughed before confirming the dates she was coming and hanging up.

I was so lucky to have a friend like her. I smiled to myself and decided to spend the rest of the day cleaning house. I still hadn't heard from Jonah, and I was getting a little worried. I shook my head. He was the toughest man I'd ever met. If something had happened, someone would've called me. I bluetoothed my phone to my little speaker, turning up some Luke Combs song, instantly reminding me of Jonah. I sighed and changed it to something a little more upbeat and got my swifter vacuum out, and going around the house. It was startling to look better already. Before mopping, I went and made my bed, and straightened up the rest of the house and dusting. When it was all so ex I quickly used my wet-jet mop and mopped all my floors. I spent the most time cleaning the kitchen and bathroom, as I felt there were the most germs there. I threw a load of clothes in the washer, a mix of mine and Jonah's. Looking at the clock, it was late, 11:45pm. My eyes were heavy, and I wasn't even hungry. I was stressed. I sat in the couch with my blanket and turned on the tv, waiting for Jonah to come home or call, falling asleep before too long. Jonah... where are you?

———————————————
12 is up! I'm so overwhelmed by the amount of support y'all have given me 😭