Chapter 4: Project Skylar

Caleb's POV

Coming to the Howard's house for dinner felt like another thing to check off on my to-do list, but after entering their home, within just the first few minutes, I didn't expect it to be such an experience. A very strange one at that.

And man, did I feel really out of place.

The girl- who was not the ten year old that I had pictured- was staring at me with such judgement. I couldn't understand if she was just having a bad day. Or maybe she wasn't feeling well?

Her parents seemed nice. She even seemed cute and funny at first. I kind of still felt bad for possibly embarrassing her when I walked upstairs to look for the restroom. I couldn't have known she was going to come out in just a towel after a shower.... but she seemed to have forgotten and had other things in her mind. I could tell since her face was showing clear irritation.

Her expression only deepened as her mother explained what days and at what hours I would be coming during the week.

I kind of got the feeling that maybe she wasn't so thrilled about having a tutor as she was making that quite certain.

I didn't know where that left me, but Mrs. Howard smiled and thanked me again for doing this job.

"I really believe this will help a lot and both Skylar and I look forward to the sessions," she said, looking over at Skylar to give her a sign of agreement.

"Right." Skylar nodded, keeping her lips pulled up into a thin line.

I wasn't sure what to say so I went with a "happy to help."

And honestly, I was. I've tutored before and enjoyed the experience of teaching and thinking of new methods and ways to help, but this looked like it was going to be a different kind of experience. I wasn't quite sure how to react.

Skylar stood up and started to stack some dishes.

A silent signal that announced dinner was over.

I stood up too, wanting to help clear the table.

"Oh, you don't have to," Mr. Howard said, joining Skylar with gathering the forks and knives. "Really, Skylar and I have it covered."

I wasn't sure if I should've pushed to help or sit back down. Being a guest did have those conflicts.

I decided to contribute in the cleanup with collecting the cups. "Oh, it's no problem. I would like to help."

Mr. Howard smiled. "Alright then. You can place those on the counter in the kitchen."

I turned to the kitchen as he directed, feeling a bit glad dinner and this "meeting" was over.

It had to have been the most awkward one yet.

"Oh, what a sweetheart he is." I heard Mrs. Howard whisper in the dining room. I couldn't help but smile. She seemed sweet herself. Her husband too, when he wouldn't stare at me in such an intimating way.

I wanted to laugh at myself for getting so caught off guard by everyone tonight. I guess I really did came in with different expectations of how tonight would go.

For one, I didn't except Skylar to be my age. And two, I didn't expect her to be strongly opposed at the concept of having a tutor. 

Skylar and her dad came into the kitchen and placed the plates and other dishes in the sink. Mrs. Howard then joined and placed the extra food into the fridge.

"Again, I would like to thank you for coming tonight Caleb," Mr. Howard began. "It was great to meet you and we are looking forward to getting to know you and to working with you."