Chapter 19

"Milora? Miloraaaa!"

Gath stood before the archway leading into the girls' dorms — a transparent, pale blue barrier blocking his way — while Nagan and Az resolutely tried their hardest to pretend they didn't know him. It was somewhat of a common sight as they began their three-week training course; Nagan leaning against the wall with his arms crossed and heel tapping the stone, Az right beside him, hands in his pockets, and Gath lingering closer to the arch where he would chat with anyone who would humor him. On this particular day, however, Gath had grown bored of the routine, and Nagan was three seconds away from murder.

"If he doesn't shut his mouth—" he hissed to Az before the other suddenly cut him off by grabbing his arm and shaking him. Nagan shot him a glare, but Az was focused on something else.

"Sh! Look!" Az hushed and pointed down the hall where Professor Ximor was approaching calmly. Her mouth was tilted in a frown, and her eyes were tracked on Gath's oblivious form. Oh, this will be fun, Nagan thought as he settled, his hands finally relaxing from fists.

Not able to hear the professor's clicking footsteps stop behind him, Gath continued to call for Milora.

"Sir Farvell."

Gath tripped forward with a yelp, stumbling right into the barrier. Upon sensing that the intruder was not female, the barrier sent a bolt of energy, throwing Gath back a few feet and knocking the wind out of him. The boys watching the entire thing go down began howling in laughter.

Professor Ximor, meanwhile, gazed down at Gath with a raised eyebrow. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing intelligent, Professor," Gath wheezed, spurring Nagan and Az into another fit of laughter.

"I'm glad you're self-aware, Sir Farvell," she said with a displeased tone. "Please keep your voice down and wait for Young Maiden Ollengard like a civilized human being. As for you, Young Masters," she turned sharply to Nagan and Az, who were still snickering, and they immediately became silent, "stand up straight instead of hunched against the wall like a couple of thugs. You are in the presence of many young ladies."

With that, she wordlessly casted an incantation over Gath, lifting him off the ground and setting him on his feet before continuing down the hall. Gath dusted himself off briefly before sheepishly shuffling to his friends.

"Thanks for the heads up," he said sarcastically with a pout, causing Nagan to barely suppress a snort. Az was a bit more merciful as he muttered an incantation that made his hand glow with a green tint and motioned for Gath to turn around.

"Let me check your circuits," he explained, pressing his palm between Gath's shoulder blades. His mouth twitched into a smile at what he found. "Wow. Whoever put the barrier up really has it out for intruders. It's almost as bad as when something breaks Nagan's time spells."

"Really?" Nagan lilted.

"Mhm." Az glanced at the barrier before focusing back on his task. "Who do you think cast it?"

"It looks like Silvina's to me." Nagan peeked around the arch to yell down the hall. "Silvina!"

Her head poked out of her room near the end. "What?"

"Is this your barrier?"

"Yeah, did it work?"

"You wrecked Gath's circuits."

"I mean, is he still standing?"

"Yeah."

"Then I don't see a problem with it." She disappeared back into her room, ending the conversation.