Chapter Thirteen

a/n: this was originally posted as two separate parts, but I edited it into one because I wrote an extra chapter that I wanted to fit in.

{----------&----------}

Sometime later, Mycroft has brought Irene, Luna and Sherlock to his residence/office. The older brother sits at the dining table with Irene seated opposite him. Sherlock is in the armchair near the fireplace a few yards away, half turned away from the pair of them. The fingers on his right hand are repeatedly clenching while he listens to the other two speak.

jLuna is standing on the wall by Mycroft, between the armchairs and dining table, watching as Mycroft points down at the camera phone which is lying on the table in front of him. There's no aggression or threat in his voice as he speaks to Irene.

"We have people who can get into this,"

"I tested that theory for you. I let Sherlock Holmes try it for six months," Luna looks over To Sherlock who closes his eyes briefly, grimacing slightly. "Sherlock, dear, tell him what you found when you X-rayed my camera phone,"

"There are four additional units wired inside the casing, I suspect containing acid or a small amount of explosive,"

Mycroft lowers his head into his hand, clearly struggling to come up with solutions "Any attempt to open the casing will burn the hard drive,"

"Explosive," Irene looks to Luna then Mycroft "It's more me,"

"Some data is always recoverable," Mycroft lifts his head out of his hand.

"Take that risk?"

"You have a passcode to open this. I deeply regret to say we have people who can extract it from you,"

"I can assure you that Luna will be able to get me out of here without anyone harming a hair on my head," Mycroft looks back at Luna who cocks her head to the side, a sign that Irene was right "But I'll humour you. Sherlock?" Irene looks over to him calmly

"There will be two passcodes: one to open the phone, one to burn the drive. Even under duress you can't know which one she's given you and there will be no point in a second attempt,"

"He's good, isn't he? I should have him on a leash – in fact, I might,"

There's a loud snort in the room and they all turn to Luna

"Sorry," she doesn't look one bit apologetic, and for once, Sherlock notices.

He could read her, when he never fully could before. Before, when her hair fell down her back in soft waves and she wore clothes with intricate designs that showed wealth, even when she was just a photographer. She bought expensive things to feel more confident, so she could look the part.

But now, now her hair was up in a tight high ponytail, yet baby hairs were still present and two pieces of blonde strands framed the woman's face. The framing parts were a sign of self-consciousness - she wanted to keep her face covered.

She was wearing tight jeans and a red t-shirt. It was all so simple compared to what she wore previously. She was wearing practical boots that contrasted the heeled ones she wore often. Yet, she was wearing a leather jacket. It was one Sherlock had seen her wear before, when she was going down to Surrey for work. She had mentioned how it was a simple job - no one to impress. That meant it's something she feels comfortable in.

Luna's arms were crossed over her chest, a sign of defensiveness. She's protecting herself from something, someone maybe? Luna glances over at Sherlock and she notices him staring, so she uncrosses her arms and puts them behind her back, raising an eyebrow.