Prologue: Heart of Darkness

Shadow stared into the heart of Darkness and the Darkness stared back. Shadow did not tremble; he did not so much as flinch as the cold, desolate entity regarded him. All knew it would take a lot more than a hard stare to get any sort of reaction out of him. Shadow was wholly unlike the others in that regard. The Darkness was the force his brothers bowed down to and revered above all else, but Shadow was different. He was the first. A creature born of the Void as was Darkness himself. He did not bow.

Not even to his father.

Darkness said nothing as he dismissed his first son, leaving as silently as he’d appeared. Shadow turned and faced his brother who kneeled behind him.

“You are a fool, Shadow. Those creatures are nothing; less than beasts, yet you risk everything for such low life forms,” he hissed, rising to his feet.

“Perhaps you have the right of it, brother. Regardless, my decision has been made and I will not change it,” Shadow replied.

His brother spoke with real emotion this time, his anger evident in his tone, “You cannot disobey.”

“That is where you are mistaken. No one controls me.”

“You are reckless and foolhardy to risk all for such primates.” His disgust was clear.

Shadow regarded his younger brother, a perfect copy in every outward appearance. However, inside, they were as different as light from dark. “What is recklessness but a bold desire to do as one pleases, regardless of another’s approval? You seek approval from the Darkness, but he knows only rejection. You cannot please him, yet you will spend eternity trying. Who is the fool between us, then?”

“Fool you call me? The Darkness is all. It is everything,” his brother retorted.

“For you perhaps.”

“Are you so different from us? From your brothers?” he asked, stepping close enough to threaten yet not quite touching him. None of his siblings would dare.

“Different enough to seek my own destiny – to control my fate.” It was an old argument. One Shadow had grown weary of having centuries ago.

“That is where you are mistaken, son,” answered the voice in the dark. “I control everything. Even your fate.”

Shadow watched as the Darkness tore his brother apart, materializing before him in all his horrific glory. It was a sight to behold. Never had Shadow seen his father truly unveiled. It was awe inspiring and terrifying in equal measure. This was the true heart of Darkness – nothing but madness and death.    

And for the first time in his exceptionally long existence, Shadow trembled before his father as Darkness consumed him entirely.

***

Dante opened his eyes. He no longer started awake when he dreamt of his past life, of his time before he'd been banished to walk the earth. It had taken millennia but his nightmares no longer affected him as deeply as they once had – no more screaming or even night sweats.

He was a different man now.

He rolled onto his back and stared at the ceiling. Eliza was downstairs but she had yet to awake from her first encounter with his brother. It was just as well. There were things he needed to discuss with her first and some information was better received in dreams.

Eliza was not yet ready for the full truth, but there were some things she needed to know if she was going to succeed in defeating Asher. He didn't need a command to keep him there by her side - if there was a way to take revenge on Asher and his father than he was in - all the way.  

Dante closed his eyes and focused his energy.

It was time for Eliza to learn some truth.

*

*

*

*

***A Big THANK YOU to all those who've come back to read all about Eliza and Dante's continuing quest to save the victims of evil Aunt Celeste and her demon master Asher. Seven souls cursed with each of the seven deadly sins -- Book 2: Bad Influence will deal mainly with WRATH, but will also be "Dante's story."  Bad Influence is the sequel to Bad Company (Book 1, LUST), and though I will provide the backstory in this latest continuation, if you really want to know all about how Eliza and Dante ended up here, you'll have to read the first book in the saga!

Hope you enjoy the second book as much as (or even more than) the first! Thanks again for reading, commenting, and voting. Your support means the world!!

Wendy =c] 

Image Credit: Bad Influence Cover Art by @sarahjanesmith408

Song Credit: Nothing Else Matters-Metallica