Chapter 21

Updated on 04/02/15
Edited on 22/09/16

Chapter 21

I stood there in the hallway feeling out of place. My mind kept swirling with the information that Alfred said.

Why the hell would Lexi get me done for assault? She was the one who started the fight with me. I was the one that finished it. Feeling brave I walked out of the east wing down the main corridor. I stopped once I got to the grand stair case.

I crouched down low on my stomach to look between the wooden banister pillars to the main doors.

Ashley's back was facing me, with Alfred by his side. He was talking to a man in a suit flanked by two uniformed police officers.

I crawled a little further to get within hearing distance but still out of sight.

I managed to see Ashley hand the man in uniform back a document. "Gentlemen, sorry to waste your time but Katryna Adams is not here." Ashley stated.

The man in the suit spoke up. "You do understand Mr Wentworth that you are hindering a police investigation by not allowing us to search the property."

"You must come back with a warrant if you want the property searched. You have no due cause officer." I saw Ashley nod his head in the direction of the door.

"We only want to speak to your fiancée in regards to attempted blackmail and distribution of adult material without consent." The man explained.

Ashley gave a short laugh. "Why would my fiancée attempt to blackmail Alexandria?" He gestured to the mansion. "Do you not think that I could provide for her?"

The officer to the left looked a bit sheepish. The man in the suit smiled as if he hit the jackpot. "Are you saying Mr Wentworth that this is her permanent residence?"

Alfred leaned over to whisper in Ashley's ear.

"Very clever detective. I do not know where she lives. You have to ask her when you see her."  Ashley took a step back. "I would kindly ask you to direct any more questions you would like to ask to my lawyers, they also represent Ms Adams."

Alfred passed them a card that he took out his side breast pocket.  "Gentlemen, if you now can follow me off the premises."

I shuffled myself back from view. Ashley stood up from me, he protected me. I walked back to the east wing quickly before Ashley came back. I was unsure of whether to enter his room or mine. After a quick thought I went into his room.

It was bigger than my room at the end of the corridor and Casey's room in the west wing. He had a sofa at the bottom of the bed that was facing a flat screen television on the wall. 

I moved to the sofa, I barely sat down before Ashley came striding into the room on the phone.

"Yes, I would like this handled ASAP." He then ended the call.

He then lifted his lashes for his ocean blue eyes to look at me sitting on the sofa.

"You okay?" He came towards me on the sofa to pick up just to place me on his lap.

"I'm fine." I assured him. "What did they want?"

Ashley leaned my head against my chest to play with my hair. "Lexi contacted the police to say that you assaulted her today when you were out shopping." His hand stilled in my hair. "Why did you not tell me? I saw the video tape."

I let out a long sigh, feeling very stressed at this moment. "It all happened very fast. I thought Casey was handling it. I pushed it to the back of my mind."