25: Caprese Pt. 1

Start from the beginning

"Thank you," I say with a smile and strut to my room, tie a hoodie around my waist, and put on my superstars before climbing out of my window to go to Kal's.

I know Lucky is going to follow me, so I call out for her to connect her collar to the leash at her house, though she doesn't appear.

"Lucky, I have your favourite food here, so it would be awesome if you showed up," I shout, hoping she might understand what I'm saying and come running to me.

"Dogs don't talk, stop being creepy!" someone from the house opposite mine yells.

Shaking my head, I make my way to Kal's. Lucky is probably in one of her late-night adventures now and will come back in the morning when she's hungry. She uses me like that.

I reach Kal's house and walk around it, trying to locate his room. Turns out it's the only one from which light is coming out. I lean closer and put on my hoodie, ready to give him a mini heart attack. As I peer from outside the window, though, I see him sitting cross-legged on his bed, holding Lucky in his lap while he's reading a book placed before him. The only light that's on is the lamp on his desk, illuminating the place with a soft warm glow.

I hate admitting it's a good picture, but I take out my phone and capture it before disturbing it.

I pull my hood lower to my face and slide the window open before getting in, laughing at the way Kal jumps out of his skin when he sees me and grabs his book as if it's a weapon. Lucky growls and looks serious, ready to attack until she realizes it's me and she wags her tail instead.

I push my hoodie off my head and grin at the boy who's currently taking deep breaths and clutching the fabric of his yellow shirt. "Hi, Kal. You look a little shocked."

He lets out a sigh and places the book back in the dark wooden library that's occupying the corner at the left of the door. It is filled with -you guessed it- books of different colours and sizes on every shelf.

"Hey, why don't you colour-code them?" I ask. "It could look like those libraries on Pinterest."

Kal turns to me, his olive-green irises burning holes in my own brown. "That's what you have to say? You almost gave me a heart attack!"

I stuff my hands in my back pockets. "Maybe that was the plan."

He rolls his eyes. "Since that plan failed, what do you want to do now?"

I grin at him, showing every one of my teeth.

"Awesome, staying inside and reading books it is. What do you want to read first?"

I bend down and stroke Lucky's head. "Nice try, Kalisthenis, but no. Besides, who reads a whole book in one night?"

"Me, Winter," he says.

I tear my gaze away from Lucky and notice he's smirking proudly.

"Why did you let Lucky in? Isn't your brother allergic?"

Kal shrugs. "He doesn't come into my room, usually, so it won't be a problem." He kneels down and takes my dog in his arms. "Besides, this cutie was outside my window. How could I not let her in?"

"Whatever, put on your hoodie. We have to go."

Kal looks up at me. "Sum, it didn't exactly go well the last time."

I fold my arms. "Look, Eliza knows about it and she said we should keep it up."

Kal's eyebrows shot up. "Eliza said that?"

I bite the corner of my lip as I nod. It's not exactly what she said but she certainly implied it.

"No one came after us, though. They would have by now if they saw us or wanted to. Shouldn't we just...forget about it?"