4. Their sense of humor. They can laugh about themselves, for instance. And they’re just funny. I honestly am not quite sure what else to say about this reason, except for the fact that they’re hilarious, and their laughter is contagious. I’m also extremely jealous of Louis’s deadpanning ability. I just…gah.
5. How family-oriented they are. More often than not, celebrities drift away from their families. It’s sad and terrible, but it happens a lot. However, no member of One Direction has ever forgotten about their families or severed ties from them. In fact, they bought cars for their parents with their first million. Zayn bought a house for his parents, as a matter of fact. And they’ve all said, time after time, that they always bring back gifts for their siblings. Photo streams have constant photos of the boys with their families: they spend a lot of time with both their own families and each other’s families when they get a chance to go home. In addition, all five of the boys are amazing with Lux, their stylist’s baby. They helped her learn to walk, and play babysitter quite often. It’s adorable, and reassurance about the next generation of fathers.
6. Their romantic side. Elounor, Zerrie, and Payzer: no matter what one thinks of the couples themselves, one cannot deny that the boys have a wonderful romantic side. Not many boys are, sadly enough, willing to openly admit how much they love their girlfriend. I’m not trying to offend the male sex here, but the majority are too scared to be compassionate. I understand, I promise: girls can be pretty demanding sometimes, I know. But our boys know what they’re doing. Louis took Eleanor on a gorgeous ski trip; Harry once set out a candlelight picnic for his date, though she did stand him up, that rude person. Zayn and Perrie have constant strings of affectionate, not overly intimate, PDA; Liam and Danielle are simply adorable, not so much PDA as expressing their love for each other over Twitter or interviews. They love each other not for fame, but for love itself…and that, my friend, is a celebrity rarity, and absolutely amazing.
7. Their quotes. As I will write down quite a few here:
~ “I’d rather play with paper airplanes and be defined as child, than play with girl’s hearts and be defined as a man.” ~Niall Horan
~ “We would never take advantage of a girl.” ~Louis Tomlinson
~ “Being single doesn’t mean you’re weak. It means you’re strong enough to wait for what you deserve.” ~Niall Horan
~ “I always wanted a brother. Now I have four.” ~Zayn Malik
~ “Don’t ever let a guy make you feel ugly, because no matter what, you’re beautiful with or without him.” ~Zayn Malik
~ “It takes seconds to call a girl fat, but she starves herself for a lifetime. Think before you act!” ~Harry Styles
~ “I think you have to take me for me. I am who I am.” ~Harry Styles
~ “Live for the moment, because everything else is uncertain.” ~Louis Tomlinson
~ “Dreams are like stars: you may never touch them, but if you follow them, they will lead you to your destiny.” ~Liam Payne
~ “There comes a day when you realize turning the page is the best feeling in the world, because you realize there’s so much more to the book than the page you were stuck on.” ~Zayn Malik
~ “All the boys who lose our Directioners are stupid. They’ll never find such beautiful girls like them in the world.” ~Niall Horan
~ “Remember people: you might not be plastic, but you are fantastic. Never forget that.” ~Louis Tomlinson
~ “Live your dream, and never wake up.” ~Liam Payne
~ “You gotta live hardcore to be hardcore.” ~Liam Payne
~ “Age is just a number. Maturity is a choice.” ~Harry Styles
8. Their talent. I would recommend seeing Part One right now, but this isn’t simply about their singing talent. The boys are extremely versatile. All of them, in true English and Irish fashion, play football—soccer, to all you Americans like me—and are actually quite good at it, from the clips I’ve seen. They’ve even played for charity matches: recently, Louis played for Yorkshire Tea. (He scored a few goals, in case you were curious.) Also, Niall is an expert guitar player, though the rest of them are learning, and Liam can play the piano, as well as beatbox. Zayn can rap. And all of them are fantastic at covering other artist’s songs.
9. Their humility. When one is as famous as One Direction is, it’s beyond easy to get a big head, or to become vain beyond repair. That’s been the downfall for many big stars. However, the boys have retained a copious amount of humility. In every interview, to the question of whether they have gotten used to fame, the answer remains: “No, it’s just so strange.” Also, all five still act like boys of their age: insane, silly, though mature a lot of the time, and hanging out with friends. They’re normal, which leads to my last reason…
10. They’re REAL. Many celebrities try to act perfect nowadays, using autotune and pre-scripted answers for interviews. Nothing the boys say—besides their awards acceptance speeches—is ever scripted, nor do they use autotune or lip sync. If you don’t believe me, watch the finale of the UK’s X Factor 2012: when Zayn’s mic stops working, you can’t hear him singing. Liam, Louis, Niall, Zayn, and Harry all act normal, and they haven’t let celebrity completely alter them. That, in it essence, is a summary of why I love them: they’re REAL.
Video: “More Than This:” the a cappella performance for Sirius XM Radio. This was earlier this year, in March. All I can say is that it’s yet another beautiful live performance of an already amazing song. Again: Press play. Just listen. And, again, please don’t deny. Thanks.