Loki - Broken

"C'mon, c'mon!"  ten-year-old Loki exclaims, dragging your hand as you dashed down the hall.

        "Not so fast, I'm smaller than you!"  eight-year-old you replies with a huge grin on your face.  You catch up to him, who was already climbing a flight of golden stairs.  You stop at the base.

        "Do you think it's okay that we're doing this?"  Loki turns around and looks at you.

        "It's okay as long as we don't get caught."

        "Or die, don't forget dying."

        "Stop worrying, (Y/N)."

        "I just don't want the Allfather and your mother mad at me."

        "Father and Mother love you, now be quiet and hurry up!"  You start to run after him, and he takes your hand once more.

        Five years later...

        Loki gives you a hand as you climb through the roof of the highest tower.  He pulls you closer so you can close the hatch and not fall over.

        "Told you we wouldn't get caught."

        "That's because you cloaked us to get past one of the guards."  He gives you a smile and sits down near the ledge.  You follow suit.

        "You didn't have to come with me, you know."

        "Yeah, remind me why you're my best friend?"

        "Because you're my best friend.  Plus, Thor has other friends, and I am a prince."  You grow silent, and Loki's smile disappears.

        "What's wrong?"

        "That's what I need to talk to you about."  He shifts himself, now facing more directly to you.  "Loki, Allfather wants me to focus more time on becoming a duchess."  Your parents, a duke and duchess, as well as good friends of Odin and Frigga, had died a year earlier.  It was your job to take their place.

        "I...I understand."

        "And another thing, he..."  You look up at him, his green eyes haunting you, and you take a deep breath.  "He wants me to spend most of my time with Thor and not just you."  Instantly, Loki is taken back.

        "Wha--why?"

        "I don't know why, I swear.  But your Mother didn't look pleased, as if she disapproved."

        Immediately, Loki gets up and heads back downstairs.  You try to keep pace, chasing him down the hall.

        "Loki, wait!"  He turns around sharply.

        "What?!"

        "I...I don't want this to happen.  I still want to be your friend."

        He still looks unmoved, so you give him a hug.  It takes him a while to hug you back, and you can tell he's crying.

        "You're my only friend, (Y/N)."

        "Best friend, Loki."

        More years later...

       You stand against the wall, your heart racing.  You fiddled with your ring behind your back; you were extremely nervous for the judgment that was about to take place.  You glance over at Odin, who was sitting on his throne with a look that could cut ice.  You and Frigga exchange looks, and her sorrowful face tells you that this was not going to go well.