58

Stiles' POV:

The moment I walked into the house, my dad said, "Stiles, if you don't get back to that hospital, I will drag you back there myself."

"Dad, I'm fine. Honestly."

"I want a doctor or nurse to tell me that. Not you."

"Dad-"

"In the car."

I sighed, knowing I wouldn't be able to win the argument and got in the car.

As soon as I entered the hospital, Melissa frowned. "There you are. Thank you Sheriff for bringing him back."

Dad nodded. "You're welcome." He turned to me. "Stay. I find out you leave without getting checked out, we're gonna have problems."

He walked away and I glanced at Melissa. "How's Ella?"

Melissa nodded slowly. "She'll be okay. She woke up a little while ago, annoyed about being here, so I'd say she's okay."

She led me to a room and started looking me over, which was really annoying and really an inconvenience.

I frowned at Melissa. "I'm completely fine."

Melissa shook her head. "Uh-uh-uh. You completely and totally have a concussion, Stiles. Lie back down. The doctor said you're not leaving without a CT scan. And you know what your dad would say."

"We still haven't paid for the last one."

"Oh, no, no, no. Meredith is at the station. Your dad said it could take some time, but he will get her to talk. Even if I let you go, what would you do?"

I let out a sigh. "Okay, fine." I sat back on the bed. "Can you do me one little favor?"

Melissa smiled. "Anything."

"Can you get me a tape player?"

"Like cassettes?"

He nodded. "Yes. Tapes."

"Yeah, I'll see what I can do."

"Okay, tapes though, please."

"Cassettes," Melissa corrected as she left the room.

Ella walked into the room and smirked. "Welcome back. Your dad force you back?"

I nodded. "Unfortunately, yes. The Jeep's here at least. How are you doing? Last I saw you were unconscious. And Derek was holding your hand."

She tilted her head. "I'm okay. He was?"

"Yeah, you didn't feel it?"

"Uh, no. Was he okay? He was gone when I woke up, but I had a note from him telling me that he was sorry he had to go and how he wished he was here when I woke up."

"Yeah, Ella, he was fine. Super worried about you and stumbling a bit, but he was okay. Ella, you know he loves you, right?"

She scoffed. "Yeah, sure. Stiles, I don't even know if I'm capable of love. I don't know how to love. Lucille always said she loved me, but if that's what love is like, I don't know what it is and I don't want it."

"Trust me, Ella. He does. He looks at you like I look at Lydia. You are so deserving of love, Ella, and it hurts me to know your mother would say that and not mean it."

"Stiles, do you think I'm capable of love and being loved?"

"Yeah, Ella, I do. I just hope you can realize that."

"I hope so too," she whispered.

We sat back down and as soon as Melissa came in, I asked, "You find a tape player?"