[39] Heart broken.

Scarlett

Scarlett

"Are you trying to intimidate me Xavier? If so, I should remind you that I'm you dad. " Mr.Thorn took a step forward in our direction while pushing his hand deep inside pockets of his trousers.

"I know that very well. Just tell me why are you here dad? " Xavier spoke, annoyance dripping from his voice.

"Straight on point, that's my son. I - actually we are here to fix or should I say announce your engagement date with Norah Candace. " when words rolled from his lips, I gasped taking a step backward. I was out of breath as if entire air is being knocked out of my lungs.

Is this some kind of joke?

"Is this some kind of joke dad?! " xavier questioned his dad while his grip on my hand tightened; so firmly that I was scared he might crush my bone. I close my eyes shut gulping down the pain.

"Do you think your dad is joking? We are throwing a party this weekend you both - " Norah's mom pointed her finger at Xavier and then at Norah, "Be ready for your engagement... "

Xavier turned his gaze towards his mom who lowered her gaze without answering to his pleas.

"Well I'm not ready for any such engagement and no one — I repeat NO ONE can change my decision. " Xavier clenched his jaws , as he gazed at his father with a challenging look on his face.

"Let's see " His dad smirked.

Xavier was about to speak but I tugged his sleeves. It's pointless to have any more argument cause his dad won't listen. Any further discussion about this topic will only boil Xavier's blood while his dad is totally enjoying this state of Xavier.

●●●

"What is this? A movie?! " Katniss commented after listening to us.

All of us gathered at my place to discuss about the situation in hand. We need to come up with a solution or else...

"This must be so thrilling right? Fighting for your love! Gosh..! I love this love triangle and family dramas so much " She gushed batting her eyelids whilst clapping her hands. Excitement was obvious on her face.

All our head snapped in her direction. Everyone glared at her, including Jason.

She eyed all of us timorously then slowly leaned back on her chair, "I was joking! Yeah, joking... So don't kill me already? I was trying to cheer the atmosphere, probably." She utter the last word under her breath.

"So what are we going to do now? " Norah questioned looking at xavier with aspiration in her eyes.

"My decision won't change no matter what! "

"What if your dad uses your mom as a bait? " Norah words made Xavier clench his jaws. I wouldn't be surprised if Xavier dad uses Emily to make Xavier obey his order. Just by the mere sight of his, I could tell he can go to any extent.

"What if Norah tries to convince her dad? "I added, this is the only way I could think of in-order to get out of this abysmal situation.

"I don't think my mom will listen to my dad. " Norah sighed lowering her gaze, " There is no way out of this... We can't back off now since the announcement about the party is already done. Both our families will face humiliation. "

What does that mean? Is she agreeing to their demand?

"I don't know what to do... I need some time alone. " Xavier announced standing up.

All of them made their way outside while I stood affixed at the same spot. My mind replaying the sentence which Norah uttered — “We can't back off now... ”

My train of thoughts broke when soft lips pressed against my forehead. My nostrils were welcomed by his scent. I sucked in deep breath whilst closing my eyes. Xavier placed a lingering kiss on my forehead and whispered, "You don't worry... I will take care of everything. I won't break your heart this time."

I hoisted my eyelids to look at him, his blue orbs radiating love, passion and willpower. I smile giving him a nod.

●●●

Winterville fest 2020.

"Don't you think I look a bit bubbly in this dress? " Norah asked while twirling once in front of me. She was wearing a heavy pink off shoulder gown while I wore a sky blue gown with sweetheart neckline.

"No... " I replied, I wasn't concentrating on makeup or dress. My mind was preoccupied with something else. Tutor had insisted Xavier to kiss Norah at the end of act to make it look more real and fascinating.

Will he kiss her?

"Are you even listening to me? " Norah flickered finger in front of my eyes.

"Sorry, what did you say? " I shake my head and avert my gaze in her direction.

"Seriously ? It's our turn to go on stage... The act is about to begin. " She said giving a final touch to her makeup.

When I treaded towards the stage, my eyes diverted towards Xavier who was already looking in my direction with a smile laced on his face.
Acknowledging to his smile, I took my place next to Damon.

From the commencement till the ending scene of the act my eyes never left Xavier's. He was speaking to Norah yet it felt like his words were directed towards me.

When the final song played, we all paired up for a couple dance. My heart suddenly started beating like crazy. I divert my eyes away from Xavier cause I cannot see him kissing Norah. I bit my lower lip while tears started welling my eyes. I have been convincing my mind from past three days that even if Xavier kisses Norah today it will be just for an act nothing more, yet my damn heart never listens to me.

I unknowingly fist Damon shirt firmly, "Are you okay? " Damon whispered close to my ear as we waltz slowly.

"Yeah, I didn't have lunch maybe that's why I'm feeling a bit tired. " I lie and surprisingly my voice didn't stammer.

When the last verses of the song started playing my eyes wandered around and finally came to stop when I found xavier and norah. My subconscious warned me to avert my gaze away from xavier but my eyes were struck on him.

When xavier leaned closer to norah, my heart became extremely erratic, my palms started sweating profusely and my heart fuelled up with agony. I bite my inner cheek vigorously while dropping my head on Damon's shoulder. The instant I closed my eyes, my ears bombarded with cheering sound of the crowd.

I knew I would regret this but still my eyes shot open. The scene in front of me shattered my heart into numerous pieces. He did kiss her.

Norah's back was facing towards me, I could see only xavier eyes. After few seconds xavier pulled away from her and looked in my direction. I looked away from him,my eyes filled till the brim. Gulping down the lump formed in my throat I pull away from Damon's embrace.

Applause erupted sweeping the entire auditorium.

❤..