Part 27 HUMAN

Nota bene: the chapter features mature themed conversations!

"Can't you sleep?"

Someone's arms are gently hugging me from behind, touching my flat tummy and breasts. I can't immediately understand who it is, but then I relax, realizing that these are Doris's gentle hands. I have never slept with anyone before the mermaid, and therefore I still cannot get used to the fact that I am not alone in bed.

We are lying in bed just cuddling for several minutes.

"Do you want to talk about it?" the mermaid asks me quietly.

I nod and squeeze her hand that is touching my tummy.

"I can't believe he decided to leave me. I really need a friend now, and he just turned his tail..."

"He is a man, Marina. This behavior is expected."

"But he is my Syl! I know him well: he would not do that to me. He is my best friend!"

"Maybe he was holding you as a fallback..."

I turn to her, "What do you mean by that?"

"Marina, he's a straight, healthy, young man who loves beautiful women. Has he ever tried to flirt with you?"

"Of course not! We're friends!" I answer in indignation.

Doris props her cheek with her hand, "You might have failed to noticed it."

"I don't even know," I actually started thinking about the situation.

"You were his little trophy, which was constantly under his nose, and then I showed up and took you away from him. Did he know that you are a lesbian?"

"I did not know myself before you came..." I shyly avert my eyes.

"I told you. He realized that he had no chances, and the boy immediately lost his interest: there is no point in caring for you or protecting you, hoping for something more than just platonic friendship."

Perhaps Doris is right, and I happened not to notice his flirting. His leaving me was more or less understandable, but why he gave up so easily with the dryad. It seemed to me that a spark flashed between them: his behavior with her did not fit into the typical cliche of his relations with women...

***

Yesterday I was very scared to go downstairs: I understood that everyone who was in the lighthouse knew what the mermaid and I were doing at night, but the welcome was very warm, especially from Vera, a beautiful blonde witch who smelled pleasantly of sweet peaches.

"Doris, cunning ocean fox!" A young woman is jokingly wagging her finger at the mermaid. "All this time you were hiding such a delicate pearl! What a beauty you are, Marina! Welcome to the family, girl," She gently hugs me and kisses on the cheek.

"You've already seen Marina from the stuff room window," Doris grumbles, but I can see her mouth stretching in a smile. She likes how Vera praises me and her choice.

I nod shyly at Vera and mutter my thanks.

"And we didn't have to use any love potion," Vera smiles slyly at Doris, who looks at the witch with her eyes wide open.

"What potion?" I ask uncomprehendingly.

"Never mind, child, it's just an inside joke we have!" The witch hugs me tighter and points to a tall, blond man with jet-black eyes. "This is my brother Alex. I hope you'll like him. You won't be naughty, Alex? The girl is used to tender demeanour."

The man gives me a nod of greeting, grinning in a friendly way. He stands next to the dryad; their shoulders are practically touching. Juni, whose hands are folded, seems to be thinking about something really grave.