The Two of Us (Din Djarin x Reader)

"He's gone."

"I know, love."

"It's my fault."

"No," you stood up, moving to sit by Din, who hadn't shifted from his position in several hours. His helmet clad head was buried in his hands as he sat still on the rickety old bed in the Nevarro motel you'd called home for the last few weeks.

"He's all alone." Nothing could hide the sheer pain in his voice, not even the modulator. You sighed, resting your head on his shoulder. The beskar made it an uncomfortable position but you didn't mind. Your bare hands found your riduur's gloved ones as you sighed.

"He's with his kind, it's here he belonged. We knew this was coming, didn't we?"

"That doesn't make it easier."

"I know it doesn't, love. But I won't let you blame yourself. I can't. This was out of our control. It was meant to be. You know that."

"But I let him leave... I didn't even give him this—" Din stopped before he choked up, taking out a familiar metal ball from his pouch and showing it to you. You smiled sadly at it.
Memories of The Child flashed through your mind as you recalled the day Grogu was taken by the Jedi on Gideon's light cruiser. It had only been a few weeks, yet the hole it left behind for you and Din made it feel like much longer.

"I know how much you miss him, I miss him too," you spoke softly as you moved to trace your fingers under the hilt of his helmet, willing him to remove it himself.

Even after you were married, you knew the helmet was a source of comfort for Din, a way of shielding himself from the world and the world from him. He never shied away from showing you his face once it was allowed, but lately he had opted to keep the helmet on. When he finally lifted it to reveal his face, you knew why. His eyes were red and puffy, with fresh tears forming when you took his face in your hands. He leaned into your touch immediately, wrapping his arms around you and sinking into your chest.

"It's okay," you whispered, pressing your lips to his hair, "We'll be okay, we always have been, haven't we? The two of us." Several moments passed before Din sniffled and finally looked up to you. Any pretences of the violence-hardened bounty hunter melted away as his brown eyes bore into your own. He gave you a small nod before mouthing something of a thank you.

"We'll see him again. You promised him, remember? All we can do is hold onto that thought." You ran your thumb across his cheek as you spoke to him. You descended into a comfortable silence for a few minutes, and you were almost certain Din had fallen asleep until he eventually stirred.

"I love you so much, cyar'ika," Din said as he lifted himself off you and gestured instead for you to rest against his chest. You happily obliged.

"I love you too."