twelve: conquinatus

conquinatus: tainted, contaminated, polluted

———

ELARA loved sunsets.

There was just something magical about sitting on the roof of the safehouse watching the earth begin to settle in for a new night.

The sky turned pink and orange and red and the breeze carried the last fading songs of birds getting ready to huddle in for the night to her ears.

She sighed and rested her chin on her knees. It had been a long day—her friends had gone on another raid and come up empty. No supplies, not even a single Calming Draught.

It was getting more and more difficult to concoct the potions themselves—they rarely had all the ingredients needed for them, although some of the herbs could be grown in the area around the safehouse.

"It's your turn to do the dishes."

Elara was pulled from her thoughts, glancing over her shoulder to see Luca standing at the top of the stairwell that led to the roof. "Oh. I'll be right down."

He gave her a small smile, hands in his pockets. "You alright? You've been up here for hours."

She nodded, turning her head back to face forwards as he approached. "I'm fine. Just thinking."

"Yeah?" He came to a stop beside her, looking out across the sunset. "It's beautiful."

"It is," she echoed. "It reminds me of Hogwarts."

"You remember?" Luca asked, sending her a sideways glance. He took a seat next to her, pulling his legs up to his chest too.

"Not enough." She gave a dry laugh. "But sometimes—glimpses."

He nodded, slowly, his eyes on her as she placed her chin on top of her knees again. "I remember you."

She let out another soft laugh. "I should hope so. We do live in the same house."

Luca ducked his head, smiling, wryly. "No—I meant—from Hogwarts."

The smile slid off her face and this time when the breeze passed by, it made her shiver.

"You were a year below me," he said, softly, looking thoughtful. "I'd always had a thing for Ravenclaws—maybe it was 'cause our houses never got the spotlight. Gryffindors were always worshipped and Slytherins always hated—but Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs never got the attention."

"I can't remember you," she said back. "I mean—I can't remember alot—"

He shook his head. "I don't expect you to even if you had your memories." He blew out a breath. "We never came into contact—I never made a move."

Elara focused on a cloud on the horizon, avoiding his gaze. "Why not?"

Luca shrugged. "There were always rumours that you were with someone else."