⤷ 20| THE FIRST TASK

chapter twenty : the first task

☆ ☆ ☆

"Are you all right? You look a bit pale."

Juniper looked up from her breakfast to Fred, who was sitting in front of her. It was the day of the first task and she was waiting anxiously for it to begin.

"I'm fine."

That was most certainly a lie.

"You look like a wreck," George added, sitting down next to Fred with Lee.

"Thanks, I appreciate the compliment."

Juniper played with her toast. When she glanced to her left, she saw Harry doing the same. She shuffled closer to him.

"We'll be fine, Harry," she quietly told him. "I mean, it's only a dragon." She hoped she sounded more confident than she thought she did.

Harry raised an eyebrow. "Only a dragon?"

"Try to see it positively, Harry, it cannot kill us — Dumbledore won't allow it."

"That's very reassuring," he replied.

Juniper averted her eyes from him towards the ring of her mother that she'd been wearing on a necklace around her neck next to the dragon tooth Charlie gave her. She had considered them as good luck charms — something she'd probably need.

"Good luck, June," Angelina said, giving her an encouraging smile. "You're going to do great!"

"Thanks," June said, smiling back.

"We'll be rooting for you," Alicia added.

"Potter, Black," Professor McGonagall's voice came from behind June, making her turn around, "the champions have to come down into the grounds now . . . you have to get ready for your first task."

"OK," Harry said, as he and June stood up.

They left the Great Hall with Professor McGonagall. She didn't seem herself, June noticed; in fact, she looked nearly as anxious as June and Harry themselves. As she walked them down the stone steps and out into the cold November afternoon, she put her hands on their shoulders.

"Now, don't panic," she said, "just keep a cool head . . . we've got Wizards on hand to control the situation if it gets out of hand . . . the main thing is just to do your best, and nobody will think any the worse of you . . . are you all right?"

"Yes," Harry said.

"We will make you proud, Professor," June added, straightening her back.

Professor McGonagall gave them one of her rare smiles before she leaded them towards the edge of the Forest. When they approached the clump of trees, June saw that a tent had been erected, its entrance facing them.