[17]

Whilst L'manburg were living through hell, their opponents were living a dream. Literally. Only a few days had passed and the news had already managed to reach Dream's family, something he felt uneasy about. Don't get him wrong, it's not like he didn't like his family... mostly... but he didn't feel the need for celebrating the recent events like that at all, really. He was probably the only one who didn't feel triumphant or proud in any way out of his friends.

And he knew exactly why. But he was far too stubborn to ever admit it.

The look on her face when he fired at the boy was something that haunted his mind ever since the events of that dreaded day. As much as he tried to avoid thinking about it, the longer the scene continued to play in the back of his head. It was the way she broke down in his arms too. Though he hadn't known her that long, he never imagined seeing her seem so wrecked and vulnerable like she had been that night. It wasn't a great sight to say the least.

Currently, he was laid out on his bed, the back of his head resting against his forearm whilst his other arm lay across his stomach, his eyes staring blankly at the ceiling. His fingers were aimlessly rubbing at the fabric of his shirt and his mask was sitting astray on his bedside table next to him. It wasn't very often he'd take off the headgear, and when he did, it was usually either to sleep or to shower and things like that.

Right now though, he didn't really have a reason for not wearing it. He just didn't feel the need in it, though the worry of someone seeing him without it still lurked. Sapnap, George and Eret were all outside of the castle right now, so it wasn't as if one of them would walk in on him. In fact, he was the only one who was in the castle at the time. It still didn't put his worries at ease though.

Letting out a rough sigh, he slowly got up from his spot on the bed and moved over to his sink, wetting his hands under the water. The cold liquid hit his skin, which managed to calm him down a bit thankfully. His eyes hesitantly moved up to stare into the mirror facing him, looking into his reflection longingly. Seeing his face without the disguise of a mask was something strange, even for him. He wore it so much that it just felt as though it were a key accustom to his appearance, which in a way, it was.

His hand gingerly moved up to brush a strand of his dirty blonde hair out of his eyes, scanning over his small scars and flaws that decorated his face in different areas. There weren't many, but some were definitely more prominent than others.

As he continued to stare at his reflection, he noticed the glint of light shining from over on the other side of the room beside his bed. The mask. He shuffled closer to the oval-shaped object, running his thumbs over it lightly. It felt funny to say that the mask and him had been through a lot, considering it wasn't even remotely human. It's crazy how much he relies on it in reality. It had gotten a bit worn out over time, faint stains of blood and dirt and such having stained it.

His mind flickered back to when Y/N had asked about the mask when they were first getting to know a bit more about each other, and how a small part of him told him he should just tell her. Of course, he didn't - he's not that stupid. Who knows what she'd do with that information, even if the options were pretty scarce. But he couldn't help but wonder why he had doubted himself that day. He didn't care about her. No way. The only reason she was here was because she's too much of a reliability for their side. She's just here as a benefit to win the war. That's why.

She's just a good asset...

That's all.

The sound of the door slamming against the wall immediately pulled him out of his thoughts, sending him into a panic to quickly cover his face, holding the mask in a way so none of his features were visible. He swallowed nervously. Weren't his friends supposed to be out for another 2 hours? They weren't supposed to be here.