one

one: favors

  —  

Today marks the day of Valentine's Day.

Seeing palm trees every single day out of Krista's apartment window makes her heart beat a skip. Aside from those mesmerizing tall trees, she also appreciates the beauty of the mountains that surround the country and the ocean that creates melodic and tranquil sounds of waves. It is obvious that she loves California since she's born and raised here for several years. She finally felt the contentment in her life — not. There's weight in her knowledge ever since she went to college, knowing that she is getting pressured from all the studies she has to learn. Linguistics, that's the major course she chose. Since she fell in-love with Casper, who is now her significant other for over two years, she had ups-and-downs. She knows she's experiencing distractions from him.

If there's one thing Krista hates about Casper, it is the lack of time for her. Recently, he's been telling Krista several excuses why he couldn't spend some time with her. He would say he's busy doing thesis or he's hanging out with his friends as if they're not classmates. Krista isn't convinced that those reasons keep himself drift away to her.

Today is Valentine's Day, she reminded herself. She knows she's stupid enough not to realize she can actually visit him anytime. Nobody is even stopping her to do so. She huffed loudly, enough for her to hear it, and decided to start a move. She decided to take a shower and go to a flower shop to buy flowers to Casper — hoping he would like it.

She checked the temperature of the water if it's cold or hot by putting the palm of her hand under the shower so she adjusted the heat. She finally stepped in the tub and relaxed, letting her mind wander off from all the insensibility happening in her life.

Several minutes had passed and Krista realized she was spacing out for a long time so she finally went out of the tub, wrapped the towel on her soaked body, and dried herself out. Deciding what to wear, she directed herself to her cabinet and wore an outfit. While putting on her clothes, she noticed that her phone is blinking; a sign of notification. She grabbed her phone and opened it to see a message from her boyfriend.

bub 💛🌻

10:11 am
happy valentine's day, bub! i left u something
outside ur house so check it out 😝 i'm sorry
i had to leave early since i have errands
to do so i'm busy
i love you

bub 💛🌻 sent you a photo.
10:11 am

Krista grimaced the moment she read his message, obviously disappointed

Krista grimaced the moment she read his message, obviously disappointed. It's hell of a Valentine's Day, he should at least make an effort to make it up to her. Still frowning, she opened the front door of her home, a bouquet of red roses lying on the floor. She picked it up and placed it on the dining table. Coming to a decision despite the disappointment she's feeling, Krista texted Casper back.

10:20 am
thanks for the flowers, i loved it.
dont stress yourself too much.
i love u

Krista opened the front door of her apartment house, her car keys clutched in her fingers, and eventually shut the door behind her. While walking, she noticed a tall guy carrying a large box going inside another apartment room two blocks from her own room. It may be another person moving in, she thought.

That means I don't get to hang out with Casper for a day, she suspected to herself. For goodness' sake.

Getting inside her own car, she began to call her closest friend to invite her to the mall. Krista isn't happy about how Casper talks to her recently which causes her to be suspicious about what's happening.

"Hi; Dara here. I can't answer the phone right now, but if you leave me a message, I will return your call as soon as possible," Dara's voice said as it stopped ringing after thirty seconds without accepting the call.

"Hey Dara; this is me, Krista. I just want to ask if you're free today and hang out with me because I'm really bored right now. Casper and I won't have a date this Valentine's," Krista stopped with a chuckle before continuing. "It's kind of unusual because this is the first time he didn't go out with me especially when it's the day of love. Anyway, please call me back if you're free so I could pick you up," she hung up after sending a voice mail to her.

She is hungry, that's all. She is aware of having stress-eating because she couldn't handle the weight in her brain anymore. She couldn't stop being suspicious to Casper. Random questions are in her mind; is he tired of me already? Is he spacing out with me? Does he lose interest in me? Is he really hanging out with his friends? She doesn't know until her phone vibrated; a text from someone.

dara

10:42 am
hi kris! i'm sorry i can't at the moment.
i'll make it up to you sometime!

Krista scowled, knowing that she's really going to spend her time alone at this moment. All she wanted to do was to have fun and share fun stories with someone she cherishes in her life. She decided to text her friend back for the sake of not being called a snob.

10:43 am

is that so???
i understand! :)
i miss u

Krista couldn't stop overthinking. In addition to that, she's being suspicious between Casper and Dara. Both Casper and Dara are close friends even before they met Krista. She couldn't stop being insecure with Dara since she knows most about Casper's life. Sighing, the radio was turned on and she just sang along with it to relieve her stress.

[revised: 070817]

author's note

to old and new readers, i want to let you know that i will revise this fan-fiction so expect some edits and all but the plot will still be the same. :) thank you! this fan fiction was originally published last 2014 and i felt like i had to re-write it for the better.