E i g h t e e n : Chemical Reaction

✩✩ Dedication to a Commenter! ✩✩

E i g h t e e n : Chemical Reaction

"Thin layer chromatography today," Mrs Lopez announces sharply, gesturing to the whiteboard behind her. She paces between the front desks, sliding her whiteboard pen into the pocket of her lab coat. Nobody talks over her. "Sort yourself into groups and follow the task sheet. I will be surveying each group in turn for anyone who has questions."

She makes a dismissive gesture with her hand, indicating for the groups to assemble. Even then, it takes a few seconds for everyone to begin talking. Mrs Lopez is young, only in her early thirties, but strict. She doesn't appreciate it when people aren't paying attention. For the people that put the effort in, she's the nicest person ever. I grab my papers from my desk and stand up, ready to join my usual group of friends at the front and begin the experiment.

"Monroe!" A familiar voice calls over the noise. "Get over here and tutor me."

I look over to see Chase, Dylan, Joe and Alec in the corner of the room. Joe is waving me over to their desk, his expression expectant. They've been in my chemistry class all semester, but we haven't had a group experiment since before I knew them. Now I suppose it's only right for me to go and join them. I offer an apologetic wave to the girls at the front and weave my way through the desks towards my new group.

I can't help but feel a little doubtful. This specific grade is massively important to me, especially now that I have no guaranteed place at Stanford, and, well...I know what these boys are like.

Dylan must read the apprehension on my face as I take a seat at their desk. "Don't worry, Ricky, I'll keep them in line. We'll focus."

"Speak for yourself," Joe jokes. He bumps shoulders with me, grinning cheekily. A pencil is slotted behind each of his ears. "I plan on causing chaos."

I roll my eyes, reaching behind my head to tie my hair into a ponytail. "Technically, it's chaos and Chase that are only one letter different."

Chase is sitting across the desk from me, leaning on his forearms. I can't help but be mildly distracted by the tanned skin and muscle exposed from his rolled-up sleeves. When he hears me mention his name, he glances up from the worksheet and winks at me.

God.

Alec hands Dylan a pair of safety goggles. "This is to protect you against their public shows of flirtation." He raises his eyebrow pointedly at me, and I realise that he's talking about Chase and me. Our flirtation.

"Chase only flirts with the prospect of getting detention," I counter with a smile.

Joe pauses, before shrugging. "She's not wrong."

Chase's eyes narrow and he straightens from his slouched position to snatch another pair of goggles from Alec's grip. "If you all keep talking about me, I will fuse your lips together with whatever chemical I can find."

"Cyanoacrylate would work," I hum, tightening my ponytail.

The boys turn to look at me in surprise.

I release my hair and smirk. "Chemical name for Superglue."

A moment of surprised silence passes. Then, to my surprise, Joe loops a strong arm around my shoulders and kisses me firmly on the top of my head. One of the pencils that are tucked behind his ears falls to the ground with a clatter.

"She!" He declares enthusiastically. "She is going to get me that A that I need!"

"No pressure," I complain, still tucked underneath Joe's arm.